Off Roading Forums banner

Off Topic - Build New House or Remodel?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  writeforus 
#1 · (Edited)
We are looking for a house in Boise ID. Have pretty much decided that we can't find the exact shop we want/need for the money we have, so we're probably going to have to build that.

As far as the house, we are finding some opportunities for fixer-uppers - but are we better to start with a completely empty lot and build from the ground up? In your personal experiences, what is more cost effective?

We built a new house about five years ago in rural Eastern Oregon and know the pain involved - just expect cost to overrun original budget about 20% and you still end up with stuff not 100% perfect. And we've done minor room by room remodels, and know the cost overrun to expect is about the same. With that we were better able to control results. But we've never done a complete gut-and-remodel project, bringing in contractors or doing it ourselves...

What do you think?

#2 ·
It's a tough call. We're house hunting and we're learning the hard way, there is no perfect house. So of course our options, remodel or build when the time is right.

I'd be torn between wanting to satisfaction and control of doing the remodel myself and having enough know-how for the tips and tricks to make the job go smoother like going with a contractor. The costs seem to even themselves out.

If you have the time and are prepared for the work, I'd say go for the remodel yourself. Certainly not a small undertaking, but I think the satisfaction would exceptional.

#3 ·
wish you luck!

for years i was a professional contractor/carpenter, i have built new and remodeled old, there is no right answer,, too many variables! I know 50 contractors and would only have about 3 do work for me, as far as doing work yourself, my reply has always been - do what you do best and pay someone to do what they do best. I have seen soo many bad homeowner remodel jobs, downright unsafe. my suggestion is to follow the old rule, location,location,location, new or used, i think its easier to change the home than where its at. then hire an architect and get a good plan so there is no question as to what is what, then to save money, be the general contractor and hire subs to do what you don't have the expertise to do,, and do all the crap work,, the demo, the cleanup, etc. why pay an electrician$$ to sweep the floor after he's done, do it yourself. befriend the help at a local lumber yard, not a big chain store, and ask them who they recommend. and most of all check prices on materials, one store might be $900 for the countertops and another may be $500. hope this helps

#4 ·
for years i was a professional contractor/carpenter, i have built new and remodeled old, there is no right answer,, too many variables! I know 50 contractors and would only have about 3 do work for me, as far as doing work yourself, my reply has always been - do what you do best and pay someone to do what they do best. I have seen soo many bad homeowner remodel jobs, downright unsafe. my suggestion is to follow the old rule, location,location,location, new or used, i think its easier to change the home than where its at. then hire an architect and get a good plan so there is no question as to what is what, then to save money, be the general contractor and hire subs to do what you don't have the expertise to do,, and do all the crap work,, the demo, the cleanup, etc. why pay an electrician$$ to sweep the floor after he's done, do it yourself. befriend the help at a local lumber yard, not a big chain store, and ask them who they recommend. and most of all check prices on materials, one store might be $900 for the countertops and another may be $500. hope this helps
Ain't that the truth!

Location absolves a lot of sins in the house. And often those sins can be fixed with good planning and execution.

#5 ·
Yeah, that's what I think. We can remodel a house or build a shop, but we can't move the lot they sit on!

What an adventure.

And by the way, all that billions of Federal Stimulus Money that was released into the market? It's going to people who are laughing at the system and remodeling their kitchen instead of paying their mortgage. While the guy trying to buy our house in Oregon - with 40% cash in hand and a job - can't qualify for a mortgage because he had a foreclosure BEFORE the bailout.

What a freakin scam. My tax dollars at work. And my kids, and his kid's, and probably the next generation too.

What I don't get are the ads on the radio here, telling people to come buy a car with the economic rescue funds? What's up with THAT?

Please someone tell me they know someone somewhere working their ass off honestly, that that money really DID help stay in their house? Will make me feel better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.