Off Roading Forums banner

How many ham radio operators do we have on the forum?

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  shimniok 
#1 ·
How many ham radio operators do we have on the BBS? It's helpful to share solutions, and I'd like to see other's four wheeled ham shacks.

Please pass the word. It's hard to know who's in the "invisible fraternity" unless the subject comes up.

73, mark

#4 ·
It's good to meet you both. I've been fairly inactive the past year and a half myself, as my daily commute has changed from 2+ hours a a day in Wash DC traffic, to 2 miles a day (round trip) in southern Illinois. I don't miss the traffic, but I do miss the hobby time. My real passion for the hobby isn't talking anyway. It's building things. From computers and electronics to fabbing stuff for the Jeep. In my mind, off-road driving in the wilderness seems a natural companion to radio communications. Again, it's good to meet you both. I hope we get manny more replies to this thread, from hams and non-hams alike.

73, Mark

G
#5 ·
howdy

Hi, got my license several years ago primarily for off-road use but only had occasion to use a few times, as CBs are more popular. Wished more 4x4 folks used ham. Went out once with an entire group that were hams... was really great. Anyway, I have an old Icom 2m/70cm dual band and somewhat newer Alinco 6m.

73's
Michael
K0FSJ

#7 ·
Andy,
I got the smileys, but no text.
Are you a ham as well?

Michael,
Good to hear from you! I really thought this thread would get more action than this. The ham radio hobby works well with just about any other hobby as well. You just can't tell by looking, who's a ham and who's not. ("The invisible fraternity") I had many ham friends in Colorado Springs. With all the mountain top repeaters I was always connected while four wheeling, even on weekends I went out by myself.

73, Mark

G
#8 ·
Usually there's a fairly good slice of the 4x4 community that runs amateur radio. Good point re keeping in touch while alone. I guess that was the main thing. Figured if I got in a bind I could always hit a repeater. That was before cell technology expanded. For awhile I had Verizon and could usually get a signal in the most ridiculous places. I try to take my Vertex 150 with me anytime I am out in the 'wilderness' just in case. Love that little radio. I'm hoping to get into hunting this fall so it'll be handy to have along for that too. Anyway I am kind of rambling ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.