Off Roading Forums banner

Synthetic oil and running gear question?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WilliamA 
#1 ·
How many of those on this forum run synthetic oil and running gear grease in their daily drivers? Is it truly worth the added expense? My wife purchased a Hyundia Tuscon this past Dec. It has approx. 14,000 miles on it thus far. The Tuscon is getting approx. 23.5 mpg on the highway running 70-75 here in MT. Will this help improve fuel mileage? Thanx for the input. This is a great board and I have learned a great deal from the contributers!

#2 ·
It will help milage some in the winter, especially the diffies and transfer case lubes, the 75-90 synthetics are way better in the winter as far as viscosity. I dont run them in my 4.0 nor my 73 Dart because the 4.0 leaks and I have a bad oil control ring in one bank of the dart so it eats a little, but it is good for a newer engine and gives greater oil change intervals. I will run synthetic in my wifes van just as soon as I have 500 miles on the brand new engine in it, and if I ever get around to fixing the other 2, I feel it is worth while. I won't use it in my motorcycle because the cycle has a wet clutch and the newer oils are really bad for the wet clutch systems. J.M.O.

#3 ·
I run sythetic oil in my 85 XJ (engine, trans, xfer, diffs) which use to be my DD. So far, in my new 00 XJ, I am running synthetic oil in the engine (Mobil 1). I have gear oil (Red Line) for the diffs once I get around to changing it.
I hear claims you can get better gas mileage by switching to synthetics. I can't say for the 85 b/c I never really kept track of mpgs, but I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage in my 00 with just the synthetic engine oil.
For me, it's more peace of mind that synthetic oil protects better then conventional oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.