Off Roading Forums banner

Riding a quad on the roadway

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  c_rock 
G
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Polaris Magnum 330 that I use on our farm. It is a farm vehicle with the triangle on the back. I was told by the DMV that as long as I kept it under 25 mph it was legal. Yesterday I was pulled over by the local cops and they threatened to impound it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Here are the laws I found regarding it:

California Vehicle Code:

36000. An "implement of husbandry" is a vehicle which is used exclusively in the conduct of agricultural operations.

36100. Implements of husbandry which are only incidentally operated or moved over a highway and implements of husbandry listed in Section 36005 or 36015 are exempt from registration.

36015. "Implement of husbandry" includes any farm tractor,
otherwise an implement of husbandry used upon a highway to draw a farm trailer carrying farm produce, or to draw any trailer or semitrailer carrying other implements of husbandry, between farms, or from a farm to a processing or handling point and returning with or without the trailer.

36300. Any person, while driving or operating an implement of husbandry incidentally operated or moved over a highway is not required to obtain a driver's license.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
I was traveling from the farm to my workshop located in the city to pickup the water trailor. The quote from the officer was "there is absolutely no legal way to drive quads on the street. They are off-road vehicles and need to stay off road, period." I shut up at that point.

The reason I asked is because many times I misinterepret certain laws and I was not sure if I was mis-reading it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.