Off Roading Forums banner

MOAB Cops

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  krabysniper 
#1 ·
All of us have other jobs and enjoy 4 wheeling and building and rebuilding our vehicles. As we all know Moab has some of the best known 4X4 trails. When I'm not 4 wheeling, I'm driving a 99 Mack with a 48" flatbed. The police and the judge in Moab seem to hate trucks and truck drivers. I have been stopped and harassed three times in and around Moab in my big truck,falsly accused of speeding. When I went there with a group of Jeeps, I was fine till I had to show my license(CDL) with my credit card at the motel, the next morning the cop was sitting at the motel exit and stopped me as soon as I turned onto the highway. The cop tried his darndest to impound my Jeep, but short of breaking somthing himself he couldnt find anything wrong with it. I got a ticket for headlights out of adjustment and he said my tailights were too dim. -My headlights were fine and the tail lights were stock with new bulbs-
I guess you know I will NEVER EVER go back.

#2 ·
So you are saying because you showed your ID to some lady working the desk, you were singled out and a cop waited specificaly for you outside the motel, Because you have a cdl, to write you a ticket?? While I will agree the headlamp ticket is pretty pathetic I highly doubt that your story is consistant with the facts. Now if you told me that the cop drove through the lot saw a bunch of rough jeeps that appeared to be in need of repair and he sat down the road and waited for them to leave looking for violations, that I can believe. I don't agree with it but I would believe it.

It amazez me the whining and crying I hear from the "professional Driver element" it is always a conspiracy. Did you ever think that since you are a "professional" you may be held to the standard. I have heard this bad cop crap for the last 8 years both in court and out and the last one comes to mind. After 5 Min. of listining to the same type of crap about how I was laying in wait for some guy whom I had never met whom admitted he had never been in my jurisdiction I explained to the judge that the "professional" was driving 28 miles per hour over the posted 30 mph limit in a school zone at 3:05 PM on a school day with kids walking down the sidewalks he started explaining to the judge that he had 3 prior speeding tickets and the judge should not convict him because his kids depended on his check and he would likely be fired for this conviction..... Why do I have a hard time feeling sorry for that "professional"

Quit whining, stop speeding and as stupid as it may be adjust your headlamps..

#4 ·
Rio_Grande: Cops are conservative, they do that kind of stuff.

Stumblefoot: Sorry to hear you went through that crap. I guese maybe they have a problem with truck drivers and target them to keep the problem down.

Im only 24 and i've dealt enough with cops breaking the law to mess with people, to understand how it works.

Will I vote for em? No. But its just the duty of some of us to keep things in check.

#5 ·
OK Rio Grande, so your another one of those dumb A$$ Pigs. Lets see you were beaten up in High School and now you have a badge and a gun .......and I bet you think your tough , huh . $hit some one else.

Cops should be not wasting the tax payers money giving BS tickets like headlights needing adjustment. $hit someone else. Come on it must have been quota time. Why don't you people and I say that loosely, bust the Crackheads, Gandbangers and killers and leave us Tax Paying your salary 4 wheelers alone !!!

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
OK Rio Grande, so your another one of those dumb A$$ Pigs. Lets see you were beaten up in High School and now you have a badge and a gun .......and I bet you think your tough , huh . $hit some one else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you think you get thre right to go making assumptions like that about people you dont even know? If you would actualy read the posts around here and make a concious effort to contribute instead of just starting crap with EVERYONE, you would find the Rio is a good guy who knows his stuff and will do alot to help others out when in need. I have said it before and I will say it again, you my freind need to GROW UP

#7 ·
well he's a cop , thats all that needs to be considered. Cops have the lets bust everyone for anything because its a power trip to them. I know several cops, that don't have that attitude, but as you read above, he obviously has the Bad Cop attitude.

as far as starting crap with everyone. YOU started bs with me first, I only retaliated. you need to figure that out yes you indeed started it. there have been several folks who have backed up what I'm saying as you being the instigator.

Face it , you were caught instigating and now your trying every post/topic to slash back at me who only replyed to you crap flung at me first.

It isn't gonna fly , so get over it and as you said in another attempt, that your done with me . Good now run along and don't come back, you not wanted with your instigating 2 1/2 yr attitude

Bye

#8 ·
As I stated on the IFS forum, the pointless bickering needs to end. It's bad enough I have to put up with it on the forums I directly control, I'd rather it not spread elsewhere on the site as well.

And coincidentally I have experienced good law enforcement officers and not so good ones. The downside to the police force is they're human, and subject to the problems and issues as people of every other profession. They probably should be held to a higher standard, and often are, but there are some that might happen to slip through the cracks. We had one officer in my town who would write people tickets for 1mph over. Luckily they got enough harassment complaints against him to where he had to drive a desk for a while, which seems to have calmed the situation back down. If you think you've been unfairly targeted and/or treated in an inappropriate way, get their badge number and have a word with one of the guy's superior officers. If enough people do that, and the claims aren't baseless, something will get done about it. Truth be told law enforcement looks to be a lousy job where one gets underpaid for the risk the officers face day in and day out.

If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Ranting about it on an internet forum isn't going to help solve anything. Constructive things to do would be to address the city council, county officials, or whatever they have along with the police department, detailing exactly what happened, and a witness or two in your favor can't hurt. You need to make it beneficial for the politicians (local, etc) to want to stop the problem officers, and the usual way to coax a politician into action is find a legitimate threat to their income.

#10 ·
No need to reply by the time I got to read this,,, Funny GTRider245 How just knowing someone a little can give you some valuable insight into them.

Well said sandman, sorry for the AH that makes us all look bad, Wrath you are probably right, they do make a bunch of money on out of staters Heck may be me in a couple years. Humthus It is obvious you do not know me!

#13 ·
Well you are one , correct ? If you had all the flack I've had from Cops, you'd hate them too. Yeah I broke some Laws and YOU HAVE TOO, the difference being that I had to pay with time and money and you got professional courtesy and let off.

It's a double standard thing with Professional courtesy, for when you guys break the law, and you know you do, you get off scott free.

Yeah we need cops for murders, gangbangers and other violent stuff, but the Speeding 10mph over ( when ya'll do it all time , because of being above the law ) mis adjusted headlights and other chicken**** tickets that ya'll drum up on Quota Day ( Yeah I know their isn't an official quota, I know an Oakland Cop, whose told me that when cities revenue is down , then it's time to boost tickets to rectify it ).

The sad thing is , you'll probably go out today and drum up some BS ticket just to get your jollies.

Do you think that Cops are loved, If so Why don't cops have their Names and addresses listed in the phone book ?

Surely you knew when you "led with your Chin'" above replying to the guy who got screwed in Moab. Surely your brite enough to realize someone was gonna call you on it.

Your right, I don't know you. In fact I don't have a personal beef with you. I'm sure you have good things to ad to this site........ Great ! I just don't like the way cops are in general or Law enforcement is , especially in " If you think it may be against the law in California, it is"

so if you don't want flack as being a cop , don't stick your day ruining self out there .

#14 ·
If you've broken laws, you had whatever trouble the police gave you coming. If you didn't break the laws, there's a 99.9% chance you wouldn't have been chosen to pull over, etc. What sort of laws have you broken? Speeding, reckless driving, evading arrest, or what else might it have been? The only times I've been pulled over, I got exactly what I deserved, and I knew it was a possibility when I decided to exceed the speed limit by a decent margin. I had one speeding ticket I just payed, where the officer was nice enough to write it for 5mph over instead of 15mph over like I deserved. There was also once instance in which I talked to the officer a little while and explained myself, he still wrote the ticket, but pretty heavily insisted I go to court and fight it, and when that court date rolled around, he was a no-show, so it got thrown out. I suspect being respectful to the aforementioned officers, turning off engine, hands where they can be seen, etc played a fairly large part in that. If you act like an idiot, or are rude and disrespectful, of course the officer won't overlook things that might otherwise be ignored.

How likely would you be to be nice to someone that's treating you like crap, when all you're doing is your job? Bottom line is if you know you're breaking a law, you need to expect at some point you'll get caught, at which time you need to pay the piper. Just because you don't like a certain law doesn't make it any more legal to disobey it.

#15 ·
Well true, but Cops can be A$$holes sometimes for no reason like the original poster stated. Come on, mis adjusted headlights , the cop was reaching for something to verify his stopping the guy.

Plus maybe in Michigan the cops all do whats right all the time , but not in Crazy Cali.

Plus they DO Break speeding laws when off duty, and other things because they ARE the law and know the'll get professional courtesy , as long as it's nothing too major, but I guarantee that if it was driving 10 mph over or Mis adjusted headlights, the cop pulled over ,would flash the badge and would be let go.
So where's the fairness in that. The pulled over Cop did break the law technically, so he should recieve exactly what normal folks do, Right, as you put it. he would have a ticket coming to him, Lord knows we would get the ticket , But nooooooo , he's let go ... so you see what I'm saying ?

#16 ·
Writing every possible ticket and harrasing people is not acceptable and is counter productive to creating a good society. It's just a source of revenue, a tax on the poor, a tax on the young, a tax on the individualist and a tax on the ignorant.

I'd much rather pay a strait %2 tax to fund law enforcement and cut way back on tickets. Fire or phase out a large percentage of the ones that are there primarily to write tickets and make room to pay the remaining officers high wages. Short term pain for the long term improvement of our nation.

Part of the problem is the people that are in law enforcement, or the system that employs them is run by people that don't politically believe in taxation and a society sharing to help each other. They believe that if you make a small mistake you need a $300 ticket, an extra $400 a year on insurance, a unpaid day off from work to go to court, and the possibility of going to jail or getting on welfare because you can no longer drive to work. Though I know many officers don't like it and see it as a necessary evil, much like John Wayne saw government and not pulling out from the vietnam war.

#17 ·
And for anyone that believes that you should pay for any law you break. We used to kill or put people in jail for having gay sex, for having sex with a black person, or for not following a certain religion. We used to allow hemp, we used to ban beer, and someday cigarettes will be illegal. If an adult doesn't wear a seatbelt, he gets a big fine.

Also, since I moved to texas doing all those nice thing doesnt matter. You don't get warnings anyway. They need cash. Colorado was a state that was run far better.

#19 ·
All I can say is I have gotten more tickets since I became a Cop than before. They were warranted and I deserved them. Paid them without asking for anything.

Just curious Humthis, Ever get a discount at work? Ever get a product for free that would have normaly cost you?

Cause I have but never as a cop.

#20 ·
Never got a discount at work , because I own 2 businesses.

Can't remember ever getting anything for free without some kinda of sales gimmick

#23 ·
Well if Rio Grande is getting tickets, then he would have absolutely no reason to give lame tickets, It would be kinda like "the pot calling the kettle black" if he did.

Most of my clients are republicans, since I cater to Physicians, who most all are republicans. In my main business.

and my other, I deal with everykind of folk, being that is a detailing company, but they don't give me things for free, although they may want things for free from my company.

G
#24 ·
about cops, i have a couple stories.

my frist ticket was really retarted. every day a cop parks infront of a jr high (im in highschool) and gets out of his un marked white suberban(sp) and radars people and pulls them over one after the other. im about 4 blocks down the road and pull out there's a blind corner im just infront of when i pull out my car (my truck was in the shop) and the car starts to lose power so i punch the gas because a huge truck was barreling down the road around the corner. about 3 blocks down the road i have gotten my car to 30 mph and the truck is right on my ass so i keep my speed at 30 intell i feel a safe distance is between myself and the truck behind me. at this point the cop shines his maglight at my windshield proceeds to have me pull over and rights me a ticket going 30 in a 20 school zone. when i tell him what had happend his awnser to me is Well isnt that too bad. i was very respectfull when i addressed the man with yes sir no sir and gave him all the information he asked for. 177$ ticket..ouch. now im going to go to court and try to fight it.

my 2nd cop experiance was in my truck and the darn thing died (i had a carb problem where it would die once warm) and i rolled through a stop sign and started my truck up and got pulled over there was NOBODY coming in either direction and the cop was 3 cars behind me when this happend. i was again respectfull and the cop let me off. and not just on the stop sign but on at least 4 other infractions 2 of which in the state of washington are huge, 1 was the seat belt law and 2 was having another person outside of family in the car with me when i havnt had my Liscence for 6 months. i dont know if it was me saying that i was just coming back from my fire fighting class or the guy is a great guy but he let me off scotch free to go about my business. so there are good cops and bad cops.

#25 ·
I think the school zone is the important part there. The police in the area I'm in have much less tolerance for speeding in a school zone or other particularly low speed limit areas.

I've been thinking and just recalled an incident where an officer tried to say I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. Was wearing a white shirt with a dark colored seatbelt, should've been pretty obvious the seatbelt was on (I always wear a seatbelt, unless off road or in a parking lot), but allegedly he saw me make a motion similar to putting on a seatbelt. To be honest I have no idea where he even came from to pull me over. He was fishing pretty heavily, and luckily for me I had a witness in the truck with me. After being a general *****, he "let me go" with a warning. If that were to happen today, I'd have a badge number and I'd be on the horn with his boss. Even after that experience I still don't look down upon all police, since for the most part my experiences with them have been positive, or at least not negative.

#26 ·
So toyotaholic a cop is only a good cop if he lets you off???? I suspect there are people in the city council meeting every month that would disagree, maybee one of them lives near that school and has kids who walk to and from it. Sounds to me like you could save court cost's by pleeding guilty to that one, but you have the right to take it to a jury trial if you wish.

Like I said when I am wrong I admit it and pay the bill.

I would say a good cop is one who is respectfull but does his job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.