Off Roading Forums banner

Gun Control and Violent Crime, Please Read!!

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  krabysniper 
#1 ·
OK, I'm doing a paper for one of my classes and it's on Gun Control/Private Ownership and Violent crime. There are no correct answers, just tell me how ya feel about it. I'm just trying to get an idea of how the rest of the country feels about it.
Do you think Gun control laws have had an effect on violent crimes, and do you feel that private gun ownership helps or hurts violent crimes

#4 ·
NRA.com is a good source of (U.S. Government) statistics on firearms ownership, crime, etc.

On the question of whether Gun Control legislation is an effective deterrent to gun-related crimes, look at cities that have comprehensive gun bans...and also look to the UK and Australia, which once were nation-states where citizens could own firearms, and then changed to prohibit gun ownership. I think the legal system, in its failure to aggressively prosecute and punish those found guilty of violent crime, prevents any notion of deterrence. Now, if violent criminals were executed within, say, 30 days of their conviction...then maybe we'd have a deterrent.

Just a suggestion, but an interesting tangent that you could explore in your paper is the "culture of violence" in America...there are millions of firearms owners in America, and tens of millions of firearms; statistically, criminals who commit gun-related crimes are very small in number--but look for stats that show the number who are "repeat offenders"...that would be interesting. Contrast it to the nations which allow private citizens to own firearms, yet do not have a high crime rate.

Let us know how the paper turns out.

#5 ·
John Lott, a statistician has a book out entitled "More Guns, Less Crime" which can be a handy book to reference. I believe law abiding citizens (i.e. nobody with a violent felony in their record) should be allowed to carry firearms on their person at any time. I do think a background check should be done, as should some education of the legal issues that may arise.

I have to believe private ownership of firearms tends to reduce violent crimes. Look at some of the statistics, some of the places that are the most restrictive in terms of private firearm ownership and right to carry have among the highest rates of violent crime. Washington DC is right up there and unless you know somebody or a criminal you effectively can't have a gun. Maybe some but surely not anything worth while.

#6 ·
"God created man, Samuel Colt made man equal."

Good quote. If you just freely give guns to the public, Two sides: 1)Now anyone can defend themselves. 2)Now we'll find other ways to kill each other. There needs to be gun control and legislation. Don't give guns to nutcases and criminals. Yeah, do what the guy above me said, go the the NRA's website.

#7 ·
In an FBI thesis, my brother, a Deputy Chief at Hartford Connecticut Police Department (think: big city crime), determined that more murders were commited in this country, with a 13" Kitchen Knife, than with guns............More children died, every year, in car accidents, than gun accidents.............look at the numbers....people lie, numbers dont.

#9 ·
FONT FACE="COMIC SANS MS">Figures don't lie, but liars sure do figure. Government statistics tend to show in areas of more restrictive firearm laws, violent crimes (murder, etc) tend to be higher. Can be statistically boiled down to actual crimes per capita, weighted for population differences etc. But for the most part criminals aren't really all that dumb or at least not particularly suicidal and IMO places limiting law abiding citizens ability to carry a weapon for the defense of self, should be referred to as "criminal empowerment zones", since the criminals have the understanding that unless Joe Citizen is a criminal he's not packing. I have to believe even the dregs of society (gangstas, murderers, etc) would prefer to survive their activities.

I don't have like a short attention span or anything. Forgot I already posted my thoughts. Oh well, here they are again, such as they are. lol

#10 ·
The laws seem to work good in middle and upper class areas where people buy most of their guns legally anyway.
The problem is poor areas. I'm willing to bet they outnumber the gun happy antigovernment people 10 to 1 in gun ownership. And most of those will be unregistered... And they vote democrat too. Just something to think about...

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm doing a paper for one of my classes and it's on Gun Control/Private Ownership and Violent crime. There are no correct answers, just tell me how ya feel about it. I'm just trying to get an idea of how the rest of the country feels about it.
Do you think Gun control laws have had an effect on violent crimes, and do you feel that private gun ownership helps or hurts violent crimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to thefiringline and thehighroad and ask there.

Gun control laws don't affect anyone except the law abiding citizens. BGs (bad guys) will find away to do what they want/need regardless of the laws on the books. Gun control makes the sheeple (everday people afraid of guns because they are ignorant) feel better.

I carry, I shoot. Private citizens, not only owning, but carrying can reduce violent crime. There are extensions and explanations to that.

Before I get into all of this, go to the websites I mentioned up there, you will have more information than you can process. Do a search, then make a post in the general discussion forum. In those forums are very informed gun owners. I am there as well. I just can't write worth a flip and those guys do it better. Besides, if you want gun info, go to the gun forums.

#14 ·
Gun Control and Violent Crime, should read...Guns Being Controlled by Violent Criminals.

I own several guns, and I'm thankful my goverment here in the United States, gives me that right.

I'd hate to live in a country where the goverment doesn't trust me to be intelligent, and responsible enough to do so.

The fact is criminals do give responsible gun owners a bad name, and they should punished heavily for doing so, but they're not.

Instead responsible gun owners are, by trying to stop us from having the right to own a gun.

#15 ·
Our founding fathers included the "RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS" as a means of protecting us all from not only the would be muggers/thiefs/killers but also to help keep government/'s in line because if they do not fear the people they will abuse the people, cause I sure's hell don't believe they are in office doing what's in MY or MY family's best intrests based on the world around me today. I believe EVERY single man woman and child aged 8 up, should pack a heater, crime would drop 60% or more! But then this would bring up something from another post, we wouldn't NEED AS MANY OF THEM (law enforcemant, government personel) and this would reduce the tax burdens on all of us, and they wouldn't be able to steal as much from us all and then claim to be doing good things for us with OUR money as they set themselves up in fancy houses with huge retirement money when they are saying that when "I" retire there won't be any money in SS (not that I ever actually expected to get any of MY F'N MONEY BACK from them thieving bastids, and BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, as you can see it is giving me a headache now and I am digressing. damnit, now I am all mad and crap/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G
#16 ·
"I own several guns, and I'm thankful my goverment here in the United States, gives me that right."

Correction: It is not the governement which GIVES its people rights. It is God, we are "endowed by our creator certain inalianable rights".

The government does not grant nor revoke any rights whatsoever. Men die to guarantee the rights that the government may or may not recognize.

#17 ·
Yes the NRA is one sided, so are the anti gun websites. So, all thats left is the numbers, as set forth by police records. Yes more people are stabbed to death than are shot. More people are killed in car accidents than are stabbed and shot. Guns dont kill people, people do, and if they didnt have a gun it would be a knife a hammer a baseball bat.
In my humble opinion, gun control has no impact on violent crime.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at--ARMY saying

G
#18 ·
Gun laws just make criminals out of everyone who refuses to give em up. I think guns by honest people keep criminals in check to an extent. They are not as likely to break in a door if they know the person on the other side has the right to own a gun.

Just my opinion. You're welcome to yours no matter how wrong it is...lol.

#19 ·
" Correction: It is not the governement which GIVES its people rights. It is God, we are "endowed by our creator certain inalianable rights". "

Actually the inailienable rights you refer to are "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" which is a mainstay of our constitution, not the right to bear arms which IS a right that we are given by article II of the BILL OF RIGHTS, which states "A well regulated militia, being necesary to the security of a free state, the RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON"
As I have stated in other posts regarding the subject of our "RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS" don't just read the Declaration of Independence or the Bill of Rights as a school task, read it regularly, AND LIVE IT, because if we don't, we won't be free anymore and you might just as well put a gun to your own head and take care of biz yourself, because the government dosn't want you dead, they want you ENSLAVED. Open your eyes people, your fast running out of time.

DISCLAIMER: I made this post as a response to Magnum330, the captilazation is not a form of shouting, it is a means of stressing certain points. The main points do apply to all american citizens though. Peace ya'll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.