Buffing-out watch crystal scratches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > General Off-Road > The NOT-Off-Road Lounge

The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Old Hand

Mark_4Runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buffing-out watch crystal scratches

Just a tip for those who have scratched acrylic watch crystals.

I used Autosol metal polish to buff scratches out of three Timex watches and a Russian military watch - just a bit of polish on a clean and soft rag, and buff the crystal with a small circular motion. If the scratches are deep and don't all come out the first time, then just try it as many times as it takes to make the crystal "crystal" clear. I understand that Brasso works too, but I haven't tried it.

You can tell if you have an acrylic watch crystal by holding it against your cheek (on your face!) - it will feel warm, while the other two types of crystals (mineral and sapphire) will feel cold (even if you have been wearing the watch). Acrylic crystals are found on sports, diving, military, and some dress watches (including some Rolexes). Even though the acrylic scratches easily, it won't shatter like the other types of crystal.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buffing-out watch crystal scratches

I've been using Mother's Aluminum Polish for the last ten years.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Old Hand

So I guess this is common knowledge? I had gone to a watch shop to see if they could buff out the scratches, and the guy said he couldn't do it. I had to search the web for ways to get the scratches out and came upon the Autosol solution. I was so proud of myself. [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

wrath is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about that. I found out because I had a bunch of scratched up Ironman watches and a dremel tool. Well, the dremel tool does a good job of melting the plastic if you hold it in place too long. Anyway, Mother's was the only thing I found that would get rid of scratches instead of just polish. I have some Lexan polish from a company that went out of business about five years ago that works good on plastic glasses.

Real glass is difficult. All the glass in my truck is all scratched up (side effect of the climate) but other than that in perfect condition. I couldn't find anything and the glass places around here were professional dicks. They didn't care to help unless I was getting new glass put in my truck. My Dad went to one of the local glass shops and bought some glass polish. It's pink. It cost my Dad around $45 for a little jar. You use rubber as the backing and rub it on the glass. It puts a wicked shine on but doesn't get rid of big scratches. I hooked it up to my drill with a rubber backing pad for a adhesive sanding pad. I forget what it's called. I'll go find it if you want me to.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Rembrant has a spectacular aura aboutRembrant has a spectacular aura about

Silly me,
geez, is that what ya gotta do? I guess I never had the gumption to research it, but I've been wearing the Ironman watches for years to work and the lenses on them get soo scratched and scuffed up they're hard to see. I'll have to try some polish and see how they work out.....all I used to do was spray the lens with WD~40 and it would be as clear as can be for the day, but thats it...LOL....now doesn't that sound like a hillbilly fix it? LOL!
Thanks for the info guys!

Rembrant
Old 02-27-2003, 07:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about this one..I have scratches on my gauge cluster in my truck. What can I use to buff these out?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Old Hand

I have used Autosol on a few types of plastic, and it always buffs it out to a perfectly clear shine. I'd try the Autosol (maybe Mother's aluminum polish or Brasso or others too) on a very small circular area in the corner of the plastic, and see what happens - it's a relatively large surface, so you would have to be careful to get the whole area polished to the same extent - maybe pull a cover from a junk yard and polish that - easy to work on if it's off the truck, and you won't worry about ruining your present cover.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Old Hand

This is the site that convinced me to use Autosol:

The Great Polish-Off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement