Nissan Pathfinder Converting to a Chevy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > Nissan, All

Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2000, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Nissan Pathfinder Converting to a Chevy?

I have a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. It's got a lot of miles but still runs good. However, I don't think it's going to last much longer. I was thinking of stripping everything, except the body and frame, and converting it into a Chevy. Rebuilt engine (Chevy 350 Small Block, will it fit?) tranny, etc...
I don't know a lot about rebuilding trucks so I need a little help, please.
Any suggestions on books, magz, or web-sites for this type of project? I have know idea where to start. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? What am I getting myself into?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2000, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Nissan Pathfinder Converting to a Chevy?

HUMM

Look at the Toyota pages on the WWW and mimic some of those swaps---
I did a Toyota solid axle, a Buick V6 and old sm420 granny tranny in my old 720--
but the entire project has been held-up for months due to smog laws.
If you want to build an extreme 4x4 do a solid axle too---

Maybe strip a 70s Chevy Blazer or 3/4 ton Truck and refit the engine and running gear to your Nissan.
The right Chevy would have an sm465 Tranny and an NP205 Transfer case-- a Dana 44 front and a 14 bolt rearend.
You will have to remount your Nissan suspension outboard of the frame.

Another way is to strip an early Bronco

Just double check on the smog laws in your area.

You will need a long term place to work on your project too.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-2000, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anything can fit, the question is can you afford it? I know it's not a 350, but here's another option to consider?

I put together a high compression 4.3L engine from a 90 S10 4x4, using 3.8L heads and valve train with
a 1985 Astrovan 4bbl carb and intake. A 6 cyl HEI modified for 1 wire operation (read no ECM) and Jacobs ignition with the Opto-Timer feature. This short engine leaves ample room for a big rad or multiple fans or what ever you need up front. I have a 165 amp Emergency equipment alternator and an air pump mounted as my accessories (all driven off 1979 GMC P/U v belt set-up).
I am currently using a GMC Sm465 granny low 4 speed and a NP 205 t-case with 4 to 1 low range.
Crawling at 110:1

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]It's not the Biggest, but at least I use it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2000, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, I have lots of friends who have done 350 swaps into 4-Runners etc, even one guy I know did a 454 into a 4-Runner and runs 44" boggers on the stock axles.......?

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]It's not the Biggest, but at least I use it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2000, 12:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Swap a GM 454 (with supercharger or nitrous as needed), NV4500 tranny, NP205 T-case (your low range will be around 2:1 tho, but with all that power it shouldn't matter.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That's the recipe for a very quick/fast truck with tire shredding acceleration and more torque than you can shake a stick at... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But that would probably make the space under the hood a bit crowded... In this recipe you can substitute a 350 (or my personal choice a 383 stroker, which is a 350 with a 400 crank, it requires some machining, and should be balanced, but it'll make more torque than a 350)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Old 02-19-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya gotta remember sandman that he wants to put it into a pathfinder, with a big block and around 450 hp I think he will stomp on it once and the roof would get a few wrinkles. My opinion is a 4.3 v6 as it would allow use of the factory running gear so you could drive it until you could swap things instead of doing it all at once.

Of course it time, money and your sanity are not issues you could go big block, 3/4 ton running gear (may be 1 ton), a custom frame, custom everything!!!! Oh ya, If you do this swap you are mandated by law to post the pictures so others can drool

Old 02-20-2000, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tried to find that tech sheet on the 350 swap I had. Couldnt open the site, since its down for repairs apparently. Should be re-opened soon I hope. I will post the site as soon as I can!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
Path26@aol.com
Old 02-20-2000, 04:53 PM
Addict

laketex is an unknown quantity at this point

AntiChris, you said in your post NP205 with a 4:1 low range. Where did your friend find this gearset?

LakeTex
Durant, OK
'79 Blazer in progress
Old 02-20-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought the front crossmember in Nissan trucks didn't allow clearance for a V8 swap? Even with a 4.3L wouldn't you need to do some serious modification to the oil pan?

Old 02-21-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure, you'd have to ask him? Here's his address: comgeek@islandnet.com
Andy James

Chris J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement