4x4 won't engage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Other Vehicle Specific Forums > Nissan, All

Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2002, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 4x4 won\'t engage

I have a 99'Frontier. The problem is the 4 wheel drive did not engage when I needed it. Result: Stuck up to my rear axle in a creek in the middle of nowhere.In other words I was up a creek #%^&**.....Not Happy.
Lucky for me, A Dodge Raider {the size of Suzuki Samari}came along and was able to pull me out.
My truck is now at the dealer. He says he has not had a 4x4 engagement problem from a customer before...I am first?
My question is, has anyone had this problem or, Does 4x4 go out sometimes...Is this a common problem?
It is unacceptable to me to have an unreliable 4x4. When you need it,it is very important for it to be there as everybody here knows.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2002, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 4x4 won\'t engage

if you have auto hubs they 1) wont engage until you roll something like 5 feet foward [if you're stuck, you're screwed they aren't engaging] and 2) they disengage each time you drive in reverse
buy some manual hubs if you off-road a lot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2002, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah the first time I drove my truck I was testing the 4lo and I went like 3 feet and that light did not come on and I thought there was a problem. However in the manual it should explain the automatic hubs and the distance you have to travel in order for the hubs to lock. If that doesn't work then you may have a 4wheel engagement problem.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My hubs ordinarily lock even at a stop. Even after getting stuck in two wheel drive. I bought this truck new. I know how to engage 4 wheel drive. This was not my first time!
I am just curious if anyone has had a problem with auto hubs not locking? I am going to look into getting manual hubs
because now I don't trust the auto hubs. Has anyone done this on a Frontier? Can it be done?
My brother in law has a 96' Chevy with auto hubs and it failed him in Idaho on a hunting trip.I just found this out today. The solenoid was the problem,and I believe the Frontier is solenoid activated.
I should know more tomorrow from the dealer about what happened to my truck. I suspect the solenoid.
Thanks for any input on this matter...Scorpion
Old 04-22-2002, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They make manual hubs for a 99' frontier. Check out www.4x4parts.com
Old 04-25-2002, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

News from dealer: I talked to the service tech who looked at my truck. He says the front driver side hub bearing was jammed and the grease was crystlized. He had never seen this in the five years he has worked there. If I had manuel hubs they would not have helped. But, there are manuel hubs available. He says front hubs engage by a mechanical ratchiting system,not by solenoid, as I mistakenly thought. And, that this system is a very reliable one and he has no idea why my hub jammed.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to Off Road Wherehouse to get a second opinion from someone other than dealer. Someone who works on all 4x4 makes and models. I told them what happened to my truck. They were very interested and put it up on the lift to check it out. They confirmed that my hub was jammed (the dealer ordered part which will take a week to get so in mean time I have my truck). They too did not know what would cause this. I asked them about the dependability and durability of this truck and should I consider getting something else? I plan on going to Utah in july to some remote areas including a 57 mile one way drive down a jeep road near Escalante, and a week in and around Canyonlands.
They told me NOT to get anything else, That I had a great truck. That it is bullet proof! ( their words). That I should not be concerned going to Canyonlands and my truck will go anywhere.I asked if I should get any modifications such as a lift? They said they would keep the truck stock, that Nissan has a good proven suspenssion.They did suggest I get manual hubs and a winch.
Well, now I am sold on Nissan again. I was discuraged after getting stuck ( I was dragged out of the creek backwords about two hundred yards to solid ground). I was concerned with my truck only being 3 yrs old and 4 wheel drive going out,but I guess it was a freak thing.
Before I bought this truck I had a 87' Nissan Hardbody 4x2 I drove for 13 yrs and 170,000 miles with no problems. My wife has a 99' Maxima SE LIMITED (great car) and I drive her old 88'Maxima SE for work with 177,000 mi. and still fast! Everything still works fine!
Old 04-25-2002, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's good news to hear. Glad everything worked out. I felt like you when my clutch burned out while pulling a CJ-7 that was stuck in a river. My truck had to spend 3 nights next to the river. However, I knew I needed a new clutch b/c my old one had almost 130,000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement