Just got a new toy - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes Unimog All discussion concerning Mercedes, Unimog vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Re: Just got a new toy

LOL ....no kidding anything 'can' fit, and you know what I've done to my rig. 8^D
I wasnt looking to lead someone new to mogs into massive work liek teh 5 cylinder 300TD conversion.

so, I'll rephrase it: the 2.8 straight 6 SOHC dual 2bbl mercedes will fit with a minimum of work that any reasonable DIY type can manage.
2 parts to the process
a) cut a hole in floorpan, build new coveplate that screws down over the hole, and is shaped to clear the twin carbs
B) rig exhaust Y pipe up

the FI models will require re-locating the passenger seat to the cargo area, as the manifold is 18" wide.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'll pass on the engine upgrades at the present. I'm more interested in keeping the mog in running condition. I did finally adjust the brakes.. Very simple job !! It seems to cruise easily at 80 kph. Thats ok with me, as it does run all over the road.
We took it on its "real" first voyage last Saturday night,about a 40 mile round trip. All seems well, and kinda fun to drive. Too bad its hot here, the top is off and the sun is baking me. Winter I'm sure, will bring its own issues.
Ricky...seeya...
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:13 AM
Veteran

Hey Ricky,

For as many years as it seems you've been 4 wheelin', you'd think you'd have a roll-bar on that when wheelin'! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Is it....... really wise to do such things without one?? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That's AWESOME Ricky! can't wait to see it some day at URE or Tellico [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The guy I bought my Boxer from had two sitting in his yard rotting. he didn't know what thye were but thought they were neat.... [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] I've been wanting to go back and save them from too much cancer of the iron

cool new toy!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

cool new toy you still playing with the cj too? take it easy Stuby [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ricky, you know if you post pics of your Uni on the SWB board, everyone will be jealous (including me). I love it & know you'll enjoy.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Gareth Coe

Nice little toy you've got yourself [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You're right about the fuel system: The rear tank is your "main" tank and has a fuel gauge. When you're almost on empty, switch it over to the front (reserve) tank and you've got aprox. another 100 km (on tarmac) to find a petrol station. The change-over switch is down on the floor by your right leg. You'll get used to it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
What sort of back are you going to put on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode