if you has the money? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes M-Class Discussion of all topics, relating to Mercedes M-Class vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you has the money?

would you beef up an M-class or X5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 02:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: if you has the money?

Uhh how do you beef these up?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i think there are german aftermarket companies you could contact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 08:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Neither... I'd procure a Unimog, G-Wagen, or other similar vehicle and use it as a starting point... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] These things are worthless... Do the M class or X5 even have a real frame or are they uni-body construction? If they're unibody you'll have to construct yourself a seperate space frame/cage to start off of basically... Then throw some solid axles under there, whatever suspension design you want will work (coil, leaf spring, etc)... Basically looking at so much money you could have bought a whole fleet of other vehicles for the same price, and have one specialized for every type of off roading instead of having one wacky one that's pretty much only good for show...</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you had Bill's spending power would't you do it just for sh!ts and giggles?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="comic Sans MS">Not at all... I'd build a unimog or other worth while vehicle even if I had money to burn... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

So, I guess you'd have to put the jeep downsized cherokee in this worthless category as well. Your main attack here is on unibody. Better go post that one over on the Jeep forum. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

To stabilize your opinion here, I would add that there are numerous other factors that make these vehicles a less than desirable choice for true upgrades related to offroad performance. If you look at these vehicles and look at a unimog, or Defender 90, or many other buildable and capable rigs, you should begin to understand the difficulties with what you suggest. Most American fullsize truck platforms also make good buildable offroaders.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="comic Sans MS">When I think "BEEF UP" I think of things like adding a SFA and so forth... The Jeep unibody is already reinforced specifically for such suspension, this "thing" is not... You'd have to heavily reinforce it so it doesn't fall apart... A safety thing...

Basically just suggesting what *I* would do to *this* make/model in order to keep it safe, enjoyable and relatively maintenance free... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Neither... I'd procure a Unimog, G-Wagen, or other similar vehicle and use it as a starting point... These things are worthless... Do the M class or X5 even have a real frame or are they uni-body construction? If they're unibody you'll have to construct yourself a seperate space frame/cage to start off of basically... Then throw some solid axles under there, whatever suspension design you want will work (coil, leaf spring, etc)... Basically looking at so much money you could have bought a whole fleet of other vehicles for the same price, and have one specialized for every type of off roading instead of having one wacky one that's pretty much only good for show...

the ML is a body on frame construction..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 01:17 AM
311mx

The ML actually does have a frame, it's not a unibody. I'm not defending it, just clearing things up. Every time these things come into the shop I wonder why the hell someone would buy one. The Grand Cherokee is so much better it's unbelievable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode