Another useless SUV. Toyota Highlander.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes M-Class Discussion of all topics, relating to Mercedes M-Class vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Another useless SUV. Toyota Highlander..

What in the hell is this thing supposed to be?! A Front Wheel Drive SUV?! WTF?! Thats just sick as hell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 09:31 PM
Veteran

Re: Another useless SUV. Toyota Highlander..

and the point of posting this in the mercedes board is??? ( the point of posting it at all??)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="comic Sans MS">I assume because he didn't want to get in a flame war with the Toyota guys and felt this forum is pointless (as I think it is, look at the vehicle it talks about and ponder it)... But anyhow it probably doesn't belong here. Now I'd *Really* take offense if he posted it on the Unimog board since those truly are capable machines...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Sandman - the M class goes ok...but no one in N.America off-roads them in Germany, where they're more affordable, you see quite a few that have been modifed as toys.

re: this forum: gotta agree with you that not much goes on. I post anywhere else about using MB parts, the guys love it...post here with a tech Q , and the silence is deafening!! I guess the yuppies just drive em - dont know a thing about how they work. ( also a contributing factor as to why you dont see them off road here!!)

come on M class owners - prove me wrong, and answer some tech stuff 8^D

c.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Someday I *have* to get a Unimog...

I think that's the only MB vehicle I think I'd like.. Maybe the M-Class if they were cheap and I could find a way to get a doubled t-case and some solid axles under it. Could do some major off roading in pretty good comfort then... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 04:59 PM
Veteran

dont forget the G-wagen...now THATS a nice mix of ability, and comfort.
c
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I don't think I've seen one of those... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 07:05 PM
Veteran

the G500 was 're' introduced to the US market for 2001/2002. they look sort of liek teh last generation Land Cruiser, or maybe an oversize dodge raider. the new ones now available in the US have the '500' series Mercedes 5 liter OHC V8 in tehm...elsewhere, ( and int eh US through private importers) they were available with the 24valve 6 cylinder 300 Diesel and turbodiesel. Mechanically, they're full time 4x4, dual live axles, w 3 diff locks ( front,center, rear) 4 wheel coils, 4 wheel disk brakes, 5 speed auto or 5 speed stick. Not sure about gears - I 'think' the axles were between 4.08, and 5.24, and the t-case is a BW piece w/ around a 2.5:1 low. fun toys, but a hefty price tag in the US (I seem to recall MB saying they were 'starting at' $70,000 US for the new G500 models)

if you've got any magazines with articles on the transylvania trophy, or other european runs, they usually make up about 1/2 the field.

Chris
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Veteran

sandman - try this site for a good look at the G-wagon ( rather than the top-end-only model that the US is going to be getting)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.g-center.nl/foto.html>http://www.g-center.nl/foto.html</a>

I got to drive a german army one afew years back - VERY fun trucks.

c.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 02:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Now why the heck do they not import those like *that*? I hate the high end crap. Worthless IMO, just plain too expensive to actually utilize it the way it was intended.

I think someday I will end up with a pair of 'mog axles under my suburban. After reading about the benefits of those I'm impressed. Especially the ground clearance under them. Will be a *long* term project. Like possible start date of 3-5 years from now... Plenty of time to plan it in that case... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

What sort of suspension flex can you get out of the G-wagon? Decent? Looks like the suspension on those are fairly stiff... Not sure though since pictures are often deceiving. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode