Another useless SUV. Toyota Highlander.. - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes M-Class Discussion of all topics, relating to Mercedes M-Class vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Re: Another useless SUV. Toyota Highlander..

G- wagons have OK flex - not record setting, but it IS coil/ live axle. they come with full time 4x4, and three lockers though, so flex isnt 'as' much of an issue. the 500 series US models umm 'suck' - there's no diesel in the lineup. the 300series G wagons use the same gears, and have the mercedes 300D/TD/SD engine. - with the diesel powerband & reliability, they rock!

re: mog axles - you 'might' find there's a better alternative. the Volvo C303 uses portal axles ( like the mog) that are designed for a more normal leaf suspension / open driveshaft setup, and are based on Volvos 4 carrier v6/turbo sedan rear axle. the swiss army has decomissioned their 303...whole trucks are hard to get, but they're also selling off their entire spare parts supply. last I heard, deals are possible ( local guy is trying to source some for a Land Rover friend right now - reportedly ~$800 canadian per axle) 2:1 portal, 3.54 diff, cable lockers....might be worth looking into.

c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's to bad they don't import G wagons like those.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Veteran

you can always do what I did - build your own 'g wagon'. 8^D (ok, ok - its a bit more complicated than that)

As far as I know, the hardware underneath is all the same - a patient person should be able to find a yuppie modified ( ie smucked) G-wagon in a year or two, and retrofit the 300TD engine from a sedan to get this type of rig. Also there ARE a number of the 300D/TD series G-wagons that were brought in through private importers - cross your fingers, and 'maybe' the prices on some of those used ones will drop now that MB is importng them directly.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey people do take the M class off-road ! lol.
I found this site that these guys out in the south west desert take there m-classes off road had some pictures... Basically smalll small streams and wash board back roads. Nothing serious.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Veteran

cody - there's nothing really wrong with the equipment in the M class - the independent suspension's articulation isnt so hot, but they can make up for with the optinal lockers, and even the benz gas engines have a nice, relatively flat powerband ( not as good as their old straight 6's though)

the design problem seems to center around the loose nut they put behind the wheel. }8^D

Worse, the new-to-the-US $80,000 G class is likely to inherit the problem - with luck it'll be like the Rover discovery - first few years the housewives get them, then they realise they're a truck, and tons of good condition used ones come on the market for the rest of us to use.

c.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why do you post this topic?! Who friggen cares. People like to drive cars on the road. They are not people who want to drive off road! Do you have to bash their cars! I do not.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also another point is that these Toyota Highlanders cost in the $40,000 nieghborhood I believe, and if I owned one I don't think that I would take it off road in any kind of a situation were I would be likely to damage it.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 06:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

All SUV's are pointless,....
Just stay in the mini-van where you belong
http://poseur.4x4.org/
post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Uhh the Tahoe Z71 cost $39K and I've seen plenty covered in mud and off roading. The damn hummer cost $80K and I've seen them submerged and rocker panel damage galore. Highlander is a sick excuse for a SUV, it should not be even classified as a SUV. It's a MINI-VAN on a Camry frame.
Hell even a recent car review of a Yukon Xl, Tahoe, Expedition and Seqoia gave the Tahoe number one in power and off roading, and the seqoia WORST for off roading due to its crappy traction control and taking 5 minutes to lock into low range. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode