Rich Mountain WMA, GA closure? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Landuse and Ride Area Forums > Landuse, ALERT

Landuse, ALERT Land Use Alert Conference - Post all immediate action notices here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2000, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Rich Mountain WMA, GA closure?

After finishing a great trail ride last weekend at Rich Mountain WMA near Ellijay, GA I ran into a game officer. After a friendly chat he informed my group that the treehuggers are close to having this area closed to motorized traffic. Does anybody know where I could start sending letters too? We are about to lose another fine area.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2000, 11:25 AM
Pooh-Bah

J.R. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rich Mountain WMA, GA closure?

You might want to start with the department that game officer is from. If he was good enough to warn you they will at least have some background information or a memo, which is how he probably found out.

And perhaps Pat Chicas can add this area of the country to a list of land-grabbing-we-say-protected-but-we-really-mean-closed-off-so-they-can-say-we-did-something-good-for-the-environment-instead-of-using-common-sense-and-legal-procedures???

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2000, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can start by figuring out which gov't agency has jurisdiction. I.E. is it National Forest, a State Park, BLM, etc. Also send mail to your appropriate elected rep in the GA or the Feds. I don't know what the WMA stands for. Maybe that is a clue.

Old 04-22-2000, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a person on this BBS with the username of Grim-Reaper.
Try contacting him through the "Private Message" system Off-Road.Com offers or
via his off-road club's web page http://www.f-c-i.com/GBR
He is very sharp and seems quite experienced with the FS in Georgia.

Ted

Old 04-23-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is the area you are talking about near an area called Anderson Creek? I'm not very familiar with areas in the east, but there is a pending law suit concerning a land owner closing off county access in that area. Sounds like you folks have some problems going there, keep us informed, get some more info and we'll put up an item in the ORC Land Use Section.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Old 04-24-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First I have heard of it! In Fact my club is about to run a United Back Country awarness program on that trail. That trail is listed as a COUNTY road and under Gilmore ??? County's jurisdiction. The locals have fought for years to keep it open but there are a few (as in less than 20 and then getting pressure help with their greenine buddies) local land owners that have made it their mission to close it. FS has no jusidicion over the road just the WMA area on either side of the road. This is a Road and since it's not FS they can't pull the BS redesignate crap. I'll do some asking around. We have some folks in my club that are residents of the area.
Local hunting interests are big in the area. This road will easily be defendable with RS2477 because it is a county road. There is also some private land on the top that would need unrestricted access.
FYI one of the local rangers out of the Atlanta district office is a monster Greenie (forgets the rest of us also contribute to his paycheck). He has also redesignated a major portion of the Mountin bike trails up by Chattsworth as WMA and going to shut them down. Seems the Mountain bike folks didn't show up to the rolling alternative meetings to contest it and the Guy (ohh and he does grading for a living...what a hipocrite!) that has been the most outspoken about Rich mountain said "Shut it down" so they are. I tracked down one of their organizations and filled them in but haven't heard back much. They got the typical disinformation tactic when they called and checked on it. Were told well sometime in the summer we will have a chance to comment on it. To late then! Should have commented on it when the workshops were going with the rest of us fighting for the right to use the public land.

Grim-Reaper
Old 04-24-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes there is a pending legal action against the owner of SOUTHWIRE. He purchesed a parcel of land that was bisected by a heavly used rd that was a through connection to a FS road. Well a local county judge signed the road over to him and he promptly gated it. Well lots of local hunters and outdoors people rasied cain and the ruling was reversed. He was issued an OPEN court order. Now he's appealing and as far as I know it is still shut down. He even dug a tank trap on the backside comming from Amicola falls. He has people patroling the area.
Now before our local greenie here pipes in let me point out that the rd has been a PUBLIC right away for well over 50 years. This exact same thing happend in the 70's and the previous owner lost then. The road is public domain that was given away by a public official that did not hold a comment period for local citizens to voice their oppinions. It was not legal for him to turn over the road. Don't even comment. I'm not sure if the trail Known as Anderson creek is In Dawson or the same county as Rich mountain. They are not far appart.

Grim-Reaper
Old 04-24-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Speaking of Anderson Creek!!!!!!!

This is from Carl Crowly who is with the GA Cruisers. How about some Help Dennis (Pres of United) and Stefan (Pres of Southern).

Georgia Cruisers - http://home.off-road.com/~cruisers/

Sorry for the delay getting this out properly-- I tried earlier but used
the
OLD Ga Cruisers address ( pre listbot). Sorry for any duplicates...

Just found out that "Mr. Southwire" has filed suit in Gilmer County
against the County seeking a "Declaratory Judgment" that he owns the
road
and that the county has no standing to reopen the road. They went to
court
yesterday seeking a temporary restraining order preventing the county
from
reopening the road by force ( the county had previously given notice of
its
intention to tear down the gate on 4/20/00 if the owner had not already
done
so by that date). At the hearing the Court refused to grant the TRO but
the
county agreed not to tear the gate down if the owner would agree to keep
it
open during the litigation. Owner agreed. However, after the hearing
someone
from the county went out to the road to make sure it was open and found
that
numerous trees had been cut down across the road, thereby effectively
closing it again!

To prevail in this lawsuit one or more members of the public who
use
this road need to intervene-- i.e., join the suit -- as plaintiffs in
order
to assert a claim to abate this public nuisance. I am not confident
that
the county can/will adequately represent the interests of the public
here.
With the case now in litigation, time is running out.
How we coming on Trout Unlimited?? Bounty Runners? Land Rovers? SE4wd
Assoc?
Blue Ribbon?
If we can't get some volunteers ( to help on the case and/or serve as
Plaintiff(s)) we might as well go on to something else. Also, $$$$$ will
be
needed. I am willing to volunteer a reasonable amount of professional
time
but a local lawyer will have to be hired....

What , if anything do yall want to do???

Carl

Grim-Reaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement