225 V6 Performance Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-1999, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 225 V6 Performance Rebuild

I am getting ready to rebuild my 225 and want to pump up the performance. Any suggestions on parts or where to get them, such as
4 bbl intake and carb, what cfm? Cam size? This is my first project and can use all the help I can get. My local auto parts store
has no clue about this engine.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-1999, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: 225 V6 Performance Rebuild

Kanter has rebuild kits for this motor, Summit has performance parts.
http://www.kanter.com/
http://www.summitracing.com/index.htm

Also you can upgrade to electronic ignition.
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/jeepster/fixtip2.htm.

good luck, let me know how it goes. I have a 225 in a '42 GPW but haven't touched it yet.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-1999, 05:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done some parts research for the 225. Here is what I've figured out. The ODD fire 231 performance camshaft IS NOT interchangeable with a 225. The 225 will need a custom ground performance camshaft. Check with http://www.deltacam.com for some information on custom ground cams, there not that expensive, and the performance options are great!
I've driven a 225 that has a Offenhauser Intake Manifold (Dual Port) part # 6035-DP and a Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel carburetor, combined with a HEI distributor the combination is very impressive.
It would be possible to use crankshaft bearing from a 231. It would also be possible to use standard bore 231 pistons, (provided you don't mind having the 225 block bored .050). The 231 has lots of piston options, the 225 has only limited piston options. The engine rebuild kits for a 225 are expensive. The engine rebuild kits for 231 are less expensive. Gasket companies like Victor, and Fel Pro make a head gasket that will work on either a 225 or 231. A mix and match of 225/231 parts could reduce engine kits costs, and improve performance. Of course new rings and fresh valve seats will improve performance. It really depends on the budget your working with.

Old 10-20-1999, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Been there and done it twice! The 225 is hands down one of the most powerful of Buick's V6s. Stock it's amazing. I recently installed
one in my Nissan pickup. Another source for Buick "giity up Go" is KENNY BELL ENTERPRIZES. They have built racing Buick motors for years
Mine has .030 bore w/10-1 pistons - ISKY series 262 cam-OFFY 4 brl intake w/Edelbrock 600 cfm 4 brl-stainless valves & seats-balance.
Wanted gear drive for the cam(just like the sound of them) but couldnot afford it. The 225 parts are pricey, but the engine is worth the expense.
Especially if your looking for low end torque. Plus they sound cool if they are an odd fire. The performance cam is really noticable.
Good luck.
Mike

Old 10-20-1999, 08:35 AM
Carey

Another source for performance parts is T/A Performance. Someone posted their link in an earlier post. I emailed them for a catalog and got it in about a week. All they do is Buick Engines, they even sell buick 350's and 455's. I think it is www.taperformance.com.

Carey Smith
71 C101
95 YJ - FOR SALE so I can build the Jeepster
Old 10-20-1999, 07:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dave is an unknown quantity at this point

No disrespect for Kenny Bell products. The sales staff sucked! I tried in earnest when getting information/prices for building a high output 4.1. The Kenney Bell sales staff just blew me off. I was quite pleased with the helpful attitude from T/A Performance. Sure, lots of people talk the big bucks when building a perfromance engine, I really hated OH YEA RIGHT attitude I got from the Kenny Bell staff. I'm quite proud to say NA NA, I spent the big bucks at T/A Performance! I'm sure anything that Kenny Bell can do, T/A Performance can do BETTER!

Old 10-22-1999, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave: I'm sure your position has merit. I must concur that their sales people "have no gravity", however if you can speak with a
tech. they are an abundance of info. High priced without a doubt! I was fortunate enough to get the build up specs and went
elsewhere for the parts and machine work. I am pleased, it appears the info & specs I obtained from Bell were accurate. It's a
whole lot over carberated. Looking into something in the 300 to 350 cfm range, I'm sure the bottom end performance will
inprove. But all in all the 225 is torque and has more than enough gitty up go for the old Nissan. I think dispite the cost of
building one of these engines - that they are as good as they come!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement