(help quick !!!) Hurst commando question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2001, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default (help quick !!!) Hurst commando question

I'm on the way out the door to look at a couple of treasures. Can anyone tell me what the differences to look for to spot a true 71 Hurst commando ? Thanks for a quick reply and what a basket case might be worth if it turns up.

Lenny in Colorado Springs
67 Jeepster
231 oddfire,T18 w/6.32,PS,Warn 10000, Detroit,4.10s,D30,D44,SOA,35x14.50 TSL Swampers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2001, 07:38 PM
Old Hand

johnbris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (help quick !!!) Hurst commando question

Lokk at the pics on the main AJC site. Hood mounted scoop and tachometer is a dead giveaway, lots of stripes, luggage rack and I believe console had a Hurst Badge.

<font color=red>John B.
Eastern Chapter Coordinator
Proud '72 "Bullnose" Driver
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster
</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Pooh-Bah

Jeepster Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

hardest item for trying to fake a Hurst is the competition decals. Kinda looks like a postal jeep. That should give you a good clue.

Happy Trails, Jeepster Jim
<font color=green>Founder and president of the AJC</font color=green>
<font color=blue>AJC's Southwest Chapter Coordinator</font color=blue>
<font color=red>http://www.jeepster.org/swchapter</font color=red>
Old 09-09-2001, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awwww man... this is going to take some flowers to smooth over !
I'm now the proud title holder of not only my 67 that I've been working on but also...
1. 68 SW with a fresh 225 runs really well, new clutch, and all the lights and gadgets work with nice interior and needing paint. Real good running little jeep.
2. supposedly a 71 Hurst Commando. Been painted over red, has the decals below the doors painted over, Scoop with no tach or cutout, (?replacement?) hole in hood for tach cable, Power brake booster, Hurst Zgate HisNHer shifter, Really rough body floors but the thing made it home under it's own power and tranny feels real good. Manual saginaw steering.
3. My original first one 69 parts Jeepster that I now have acquired enough pieces to put all back together.
4. And one slightly upset wife :>(

Now, If I can catch Hurc not looking and Tim not paying attention for their 70 and 66, I'll have a full six pack.

67 Jeepster
231 oddfire,T18 w/6.32,PS,Warn 10000, Detroit,4.10s,D30,D44,SOA,35x14.50 TSL Swampers
Old 09-10-2001, 02:34 AM
Pooh-Bah

decals under the door? and just a hole in the hood for the tach wire? hmmmm interesting

Old 09-10-2001, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Jim, Yeah that's what I thought also. The hood has the scoop mounting and the hole with the wedge shape cover inside. The scoop I mentioned is off in the parts box. Without the tach or the hole cut into the blank lead me to believe that this was a replacement sccop possibly. I have to look at the cowl for the vertical stripes again I didn't check them and it's still hid out in the shop till the Mrs cools off. (Maybe if I paint them all the same color she'll never notice? hmmm...)I have the number here if anyone knows what it supposed to be. I didn't pay much for the whole lot but I had heard you guys mention the Hursts through the years so if it is it deserves better than i'm going to do to it. The Firewall VIN is " 8705F1769350". It came out of Kansas and has a salvaged title.

Was a good day though, I went and looked at two Jeepsters, got em delivered to my door, took my 67 out for some rock banging 4wheeling and didn't get stuck, hung up, embarrassed or broke down even one time and jumped out of that one into the 68 for a good little drive home with the heater and the radio blaring.

67 Jeepster
Old 09-11-2001, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well Jim it appears that we may have a ringer here as suspected. There is no stripes under the paint for the cowling. I also can't find any holes that would have mounted the "H" emblem anywhere. I suspect that I have a 70 that has been converted over to look like one. I have the foam steering wheel, Hood, (I have to look again for the mounting holes for the "H" I forgot to check). scoop with the tach not cut out, and the Z gate shifter for a hurst if someone needs these parts for there Resto. I think the only other differences from my research is that the Hurst had different rims. UPDATE. I have just found a list of the Hurst accessories listed in an old article.

* ABS Vacumn formed hood scoop
* 8000 rpm tach mounted in hood scoop
* Hurst dual gate shifter (AT models) only in first 300
* Hurst T-handle shifter (MT models)
* G70 x 15 Goodyear Custom Wide Tread Polyglas tires, blackwalls with raised white lettering.
* 15 inch diameter foam steering wheel with brushed chrome spokes and adaptor.
* roof top luggage rack
* red & blue racing stripes
* Hurst emblems

67 Jeepster
Old 09-11-2001, 02:21 PM
Pooh-Bah

I would be very interested in them for my resto. Emil me please. Z gate or dual gate?
jeepsterjim@psyber.com

Old 09-11-2001, 03:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Lenny:

Out of curiosity, does the VIN plate have Kaiser Jeep Corporation on it or does it say American Motors? All '71's were AMC's as Kaiser sold Jeep to AMC in mid to late '70. Hurst's were only produced in '71.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
Old 09-11-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jim, the shifter has the small metal gate that you slide up to allow the shifter to move to the right for 123. I was away from the shop all day so I didn't look at it.
On a humorous note. My 16 year old son has a 76 Triumph Spitfire that we have been working on steadily since April when he got his license. He was pulled over tonite for driving without light. The police officer rightly wouldn't let him drive it home without lights so it got parked on site. After I got back in town, I parked the Repo rig and jumped in the 68 and headed home when I got the call from mama. I went to fix the lights on the little car in the jeepster and seen that he had the wooden dash out at school to make a new one in shop, All well and good but there's no dash and wires are hanging with the gages, switches, and all the wiring down around his big feet. Quick field repair and he's on his way after I chew his a** out royally for even thinking about driving around without any lights in this tiny car. I get into my new street jeepster, you know the one with everything working perfect thinking about the stupid stuff I've done through 38 years. About half way home, you guessed it... The lights went out. However, I did what any self respecting jeepster driver would do. I stuck my left hand up behind the light switch and tugged, twisted and pushed on em and never even missed a gear. I'm glad him or his mama wasn't around though. Some things are better left unknown.

67 Jeepster w/231 oddfire,T18 w/6.32,PS,Warn 10000, Detroit,4.10s,D30,D44,SOA,35x14.50 TSL Swampers
68 daily driver
69 parts rig
71 maybe a fake hurst
Sponsored Links
Advertisement