Armstrong Norseman Tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2001, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Armstrong Norseman Tires?

Anyone know if they still make Norseman tires,or did they just get absorbed by another tire company.I was told they are still out on the west-coast. Just curious,I had a set years ago and thought they were great tires.

Dave Cardwell
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2001, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Armstrong Norseman Tires?

I believe that Armstrong is no more. Dick Cepek's Fun Country tires are the same pattern. I'm not sure if they are available in normal sizes though. I have seen large sizes, (33x12.50R15's and larger), advertised, but not sure on smaller sizes.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2001, 11:47 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid the Armstrong Norsemen's are gone, replaced by the Fun country's as was said. The Fun County makes lots more noise than the Norseman did, and they cut easier.

The tire I really miss is the Gates Commando - they were the best tires I've ever used - great in sand, mud, snow and rocks - and passenger car quiet on the highway. But they too are long gone.

Why is it once something is fantastic they replace it with inferior trash? Is that some sort of Communist plot?

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"
Old 07-03-2001, 01:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jeepster Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich, i remember buying them back in the '60's for my jeeps. Good tires for back then but man did they wear out fast and the Norsemans sure thumped down the road on a cold morning. hey Rich, Do you remember Charlie Ekertson (sp) who sponsored the Broncos?

<font color=green>AJC founder and president</font color=green>
Old 07-03-2001, 02:33 AM
Way Outta Control

Charlie Ekertson? No. Broncos?

You mean the Bill Stroppe Broncos built for PJ and the Unsers?

Come to think of it, I went through several sets of Norseman's, maybe the rubber was butyl, soft, sticky but didn't last long.

Dick Cepek himself sold me my first Gates Commandos - he made me custom wide (8") wheels for my '66 Datsun PU - in '66. (In '66 8" wide was big). He was the first to start building one piece wheels, till then we'd been welding wheel halves together.

That was when he had a little tire store in South Gate before anybody ever heard of him. One of his sons mounted them for me.
I went through a couple sets of the Commandos, then Dick talked me into the Norsemens when Gates dropped the Commando.

Dick had Armstrong change the molds on the Norseman for him about the same time Armstrong dropped the Norseman. He changed the name and on the outer corner lugs he imbedded DC.
The Norseman's were quiet, the Fun Countrys were noisey by comparison.

I had several sets of those till I sold my '55 Willys Wagon.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"
Old 07-03-2001, 09:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

The last set of tires I put on my '86 Nissan were Norseman's. I liked them alot since they were a good cross between ATs and MTs. Ya'll are right about the whine on a cold day. They were some noisey rascals, but would dig in the mud just as well as my brothers BFG MTs, just not clean as good.

Caver Dave
Croc-O-$#!+
'67 Jeepster, 225 & 3spd
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:31 AM
Pooh-Bah

Rich, Charlie worked for a large dealer ship which sponsered two built to th hilt fiberglass racing broncos As for Stoppe and Moody, I used to go up to their shop often and drive home with the lastest add ons for the broncos such as dual shock mounts, coil springs, 351 conversion, and more. Learned a lot about racing stuff too.

Old 07-03-2001, 11:39 AM
Way Outta Control

Small world isn't it?

I used to call on Stoppe on the hill to try to sell him equipment, Autoscan scopes and exhaust analyzers at the time. I don't remember him ever buying anything from me, he was a "dyed in the wool" Sun man.
Later I bought a shop on PCH not far away, sold it for a nice profit 2 months later.
A couple of my "hang outs" were Automeister, a Mercedes shop on Willow and Eldon Lind Transmissions on PCH. Both were within "near spittin distance" of Stroppe's.

I haven't been near there in years, wonder if he's still there? If so, wonder what creations he's up to?

Seems to me you said once you were from Long Beach?

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"
Old 07-03-2001, 12:40 PM
Pooh-Bah

WOW it is a small world....I was raised in Escondido. Used to hang with "mr. jeepster too" Brain Chachua. Man he sure had some cool stuff back than.

Old 07-03-2001, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WoW
Some of you have a very unique American racing heritage, I sort of had an idea that might be the case and i'm very excited and glad to hear that fact confirmed. It makes me know that I am speaking with and wanting to belong to the right group of people. I want to thank each of you whom have encouraged me with starting the Central Chapter. I am looking forward to meeting each of you personally as time goes by.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement