70 Commando Wiring - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2001, 09:58 PM
Journeyman

JMartz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 70 Commando Wiring

Hi All-

I'm new to this list and am also the happy new owner of a 1970 Jeep Commando which I hope to restore with lots of TLC (and a few $'s) in the next several months. I hope to be able to use the resources on this BB for help and encouragement on this project. Right now, I hope someone can help me with a rather simple question. The brake lights do not work and I want to eliminate simple things first. I can't find a fuse panel, so I assume the lights are fused inline. Can someone tell me roughly where the fuse for the brake lights might be located?Also, is there a resource for a wiring diagram for this year and model available on line? As might be expected in such an old car that's gone through many hands, the under dash is a wiring nightmare.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

-John
Oregon

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2001, 10:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hurcules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 70 Commando Wiring

Fuses? No, not on a Jeepster. Just a few inline fuses, mine were for the radio and the turn signals, nothing more. On your driver's side kickpanel there is a circut breaker, lots of red wires with white traces coming off of two posts, that is your "fuse" for the whole system. THe brake lights are wired like this: Hot wire from the circut breaker to the brake switch on the bottom of the MC, then the wire on the other terminal of that switch goes to the steering column. Then it comes out of steering column in two wires that also act as the turn signal wires as I recall. If your turn ignals work it is most likley a short before the steering column, use a test light to see if the brake light switch has power, and test on from there. Please fill out your user profile so we all can get to know you and your jeep better. Welcome aboard and most of all Good luck!

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
225 V-6/SM420/D18, D44's locked 4.88, 8" SOA 36's
48 flattie 225 V-6 HEI/T14/D20, D30/D44 31's.
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-08-2001, 10:38 PM
Journeyman

John-

Very much appreciate the reply and the information on how the Jeepster is wired. Will start with the sending unit at the master cylinder and go from there.

-John

Old 04-08-2001, 10:46 PM
Journeyman

newtoy is an unknown quantity at this point

JMartz,

I was in the same boat-I am just starting to fix up a 1970 also. I ended up rewiring the entire back end of the vehicle. On mine, there was a six plug harness that connects two all the wires in the back-I was able to simply hook up a battery and run through all of the male connectors there with a volt meter to see it I was getting power there. I would also make sure your pressure switch on the master cylinder works. Mine switch was fine. It's just something easy to check before you start ripping all the wires out. Hope this helps a little-however-I will tell you I am not an expert at anyrate. I am just learning too.

Old 04-08-2001, 11:08 PM
Old Hand

Jayster is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have pics of a rewired Jeepster? I am looking into adding a fuse block.
Anybody have some tips on what to get and what to do?
Everything works right now except for when I use my wipers. I am starting to smell the fairy dust a little.
Good thing that the weather is getting better here. I am running the oldy style alt and I am going to update it.

71 Jeepster Commando Hardtop. 3" Alcans, add-a-leafs& shackles, Rancho 5000,
31x10.50x15s on 15x7s, 225,T-400
Old 04-08-2001, 11:17 PM
Old Hand

Bobster is an unknown quantity at this point

As said, check the switch on the MC. But 9 out of 10 times, it's a bad ground at the tail light housing. Do all the other lights work back there? Also make sure the sockets aren't corroded.

Bobster
o O||||O o
71 Jeepster "Soft Top" Wagon (mangled)
71 "Partster" wagon (donor)
70 Jeepster Half Cab
01 Wrangler
Old 04-08-2001, 11:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Smell the fairy dust? It is too cold to smell much of anything if the fairy dust is coming...... You must mean smell the smoke? Smoke is what makes the Jeepster electrical system run, let out the smoke, and it no longer works, so you must re-wire it to put new smoke in it so everything works again. Do a search, there have been countless threads about re-wiring this suff, my only tip is to use top quality stuff, and buy a GOOD set of crimpers, shell out at least 15 bones for a pair, or you will get crappy crimps and will be under there doing it all over again sonner than you would like to. As I remember walt had a wiring diagram on hiw web page, http://www.themotorpool.com I got some old, old, old, pics of mine, lemme see here......

John
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-390707-Newwiring.jpg (47.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-08-2001, 11:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here is how I had my fues block the first time around, I later found a better way to wire all this stuff a bit neater, so it is on the inside now, on the kick panel.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-390710-Relays.jpg (37.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-09-2001, 02:11 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for all the replies and tips/links. All the other lights (turn/tail) work OK, so problem is probably in wiring or sending unit. Once I get brakelights working, will probably install a fuse panel inside somewhere and rewire a lot of the underdash stuff. Right now it's real scary under there, wires cut and left hanging, fuse holders with no fuses, splices made with safety pins and tape....
You know how it is with old cars and multiple owners!

Thanks again for the help.

-John
Oregon

Old 04-12-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey, I did a full rewiring job on my 73' commando it works about a thousand times better than before, but then again I filled the dash and put in a full VDO gauge set. To answer on of your questions I put my fuse panel driverside all the way up under the dash against the fire wall. best of luck with your new wiring, By the way painless sells a killer harness for the jeep you could use a cj or even a ford truck harness. Thats What I did!!
Best of luck
Leko

Sponsored Links
Advertisement