304 won't start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2000, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

scottgp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 304 won\'t start

Alas everything is put together and will crank over but won't start (no spark, fuel is getting to the carb). I have replaced nearly everything under the hood in my 72 Jeep Commando as well as having it professionally rebuilt during this whole process. I believe everything is hooked up correctly and will soon take it to somebody that actually knows what he is doing. But...I am still trying to fix it myself.

I think I must have screwed up the firing order or could have installed the Dist. wrong but have checked and doubled checked and so on and so on.
I used TR instructions to do it (correctly? I don't know).

I replaced the coil with an MSD blaster. I installed the ceramic resistor which came with the coil. I also replaced the original resistor on the fire wall. Right or wrong? Should I just use one of them?

I know that the solenoid is getting power. The "I" post has power and the "S" post does not (with ignition on. The coil also has power. I also tried to start it with the old coil in place (hooked up as original).

TEACH ME!!!
Scott

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2000, 05:21 PM
Journeyman

GavachoS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 304 won\'t start

You didn't mention ignition timing. Is it correct?
Steve

'72 Commando, '57 CJ-5.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2000, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you set the timing on the compression stroke?

Chris

Old 10-14-2000, 03:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

clffhnger is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think you want two resistors inline. Its probably cutting down the voltage too much.

Tom
69 Jeepster
89 Suburban 4wd
00 Expedition 4wd
Old 10-14-2000, 07:50 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to basics. First you need a spark, then you need to get it to happen at the right time.

You might want to go back to the original coil and wiring.
Then:
Key on, engine off. At the + terminal of the coil you should measure either about 12 volts if the points are open, or about 6-8 volts if the points are closed. Then bump the engine over a tad, it should revert to the other. If it doesn't check the points to see why they are not opening and closing - check the gap and make sure the condenser is tight.
If the voltage at the + side of the coil varies like it should, you should have spark at the coil tower. Make sure the spark jumps out of the wire at the distributor end - crank it while holding the wire 1/4 inch from ground.
Now see if it comes back out of the cap to the #1 wire. Then check it at the plug end of the wire.

Bump it till the damper is pointing to 10 degrees.
Pull the cap to make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 terminal. It has to either point directly at it or 180 opposite - if not, rewire the firing order.
Now it should start (you said you have fuel) or backfire like crazy.
If it backfires, rotate all rthe wires around the cap 180 degrees.

One step at a time with the basics.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"
Old 10-15-2000, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

scottgp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted.
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.