1969 Classic Jeepster Convertible - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM

JeepsterEnthusiast is on a distinguished road
Default 1969 Classic Jeepster Convertible

I'm new to Convertible Jeepsters as I just saw one the other day for the first time and it just happened to be for sale. I immediately researched Jeepster Convertibles and that's how I ended up here. I've been learning about them for the past few days but otherwise know nothing about them. I called the owner from the sign and the owner stated it was a 1969 Jeepster convertible (8701 deluxe model). It has two-tone paint, continental kit rear tire package (with short fiber glass trunk deck with sealed tailgate), aluminum trim molding, Dauntless V-6 engine, automatic transmission, AC, and a manual convertible top with a glass rear window. The owner said the car is stock with low original miles. It's been garaged and rarely driven. I'm intrigued by it but I have no idea what it's worth and can't seem to find anything showing values for this type of car? I learned from another user's post in this forum that only 136 of this model (8701) were made in 1969 and that only 2,885 Classic Jeepster Convertibles of this model were made from 1967-1969. In otherwords they're rare so that's perhaps why it's difficult to find values?

I met the owner to take a closer look at the car and test drive it. It started up and didn't seem to make any odd noises. However, the steering seemed rather clumsy or loose and I had to brake much earlier than I would've in a normal car. I was a bit uncomfortable driving as I wasn't use to this. Are these two issues typical of this car or are these "red flags" something may be problematic? I've tried to research online about the steering but could only find that this car perhaps has original Ross steering but I'm not sure what that means? Also, some posts mention Saginaw steering in other older Jeeps which perhaps was an upgrade to make the steering better? Other than that, all gauges, original Jeep radio, etc... were in working order. The top was in very nice condition as was the paint. I didn't notice any rust anywhere.

My main question (other than what I've asked above) would be: What is a car like this approximately worth today? I realize you'd have to see it and a a buyer should have a mechanic inspect it but from what I saw it's been cared for and shows nicely.

In addition, any thoughts and ideas on maintenance issues/problems with the Jeepster Convertibles I should be aware of, etc...? Thanks for reading my post and advising me if and where possible. I certainly appreciate it.

Last edited by JeepsterEnthusiast; 07-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Tim V is on a distinguished road

Jeepster Commando Club of America • Index page

The Jeepster Commando does not have power steering or power brakes but can be upgraded
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Old Hand

dan01ster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there...welcome to the Jeepster world mate.
I realize this is an old post, but in the event that you did purchase the Jeep, here are some thoughts.
I have a '67 Jeepster Deluxe convertible. It is much as you described your 'find'.
First check the VIN and it will tell you if you have a 'Deluxe' (8701)or an 'Austere' (8702)convertible.
It sounds like you are dealing with a Deluxe, and if so it will be rare because only a handful were made in '69 before reverting to the austere model only.
The ross steering was used exclusively on the convertibles 8701 and 8702. They are mounted at the firewall whereas the other models of Jeepster ie 8705 were mounted out ahead of the axle as were later CJ's. Those used a Saginaw box. Most folks update to a saginaw box to help with the steering ie power and play etc.
Brakes were manual. The tops were built either as spring loaded manuals or offered with a power /hydraulic option (mine has).
The V6 was a Buick engine 225cid and was an option as was the automatic an option. GM Turbohyrdamatic 400.
8701's had a single rear main leaf suspension to give a better ride in theory.
The windshield frame and glass size on the 8701 is slightly different than a standard Jeepster ie 8705...watch out if getting a new glass cut.
Various colour combos were offered and 8701's usually had a non black interior to complement the exterior colours. There is a chap in St Louis (Mark Vilbert) who specializes in parts for the 8701 verts....nice guy to deal with too. He often has a Jeepster vert list for sale on his web site...currently one on there for around $18,000 US I believe.
Have fun
Dan in Canada

JEEPSTERS and their Owners - dedicated
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Pack Rat is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to burst your bubble Dan but all Jeepsters up until early 70 used Ross steering. Single leaf rear suspension was also not exclusive to verts, it was used on all models. Yes the vert windshield frames are different but there's no difference on windshield glass size until 73. 8701 verts did use a chrome insert in the weatherstrip but it did not affect the size of the glass.
72 Bullnose ???
71 Jeepster HC
71 Jeepster Hurst
02 Dodge 2500
Bunch of AMC Eagles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement