A long, long, time ago... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Addict

Cster71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A long, long, time ago...

There was a fellow named McQueen that drove a Chuchua Jeepster and had his picture taken(Baja?). I searched and found a thread from 11-18-03, but the pics. 'cannot be found'. Jim and RRich discussed the old molds. What I'd like to get is a link or pic of Steve racing the Jeepster. I remember seeing it a long time ago,
Help?

Last edited by Cster71; 10-14-2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

writeforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORCwriteforus has a brilliant future at ORC

So I tried to help - went on an expedition to find this lost content. The good news is that it's a thread from 2003 and the image that can't be found is a Yahoo image - it's not something we lost from Off-Road.com.

The bad news is that well, I didn't find it for you either...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Addict

Thanks! After searching for a while, I am thinking SQ might not have been the driver in the pic., just that it mentioned his name in the subtext. Still unsure. RRich mentioned he might have a bunch of photos, if his ex didn't chunk 'em. I am still hoping some of the guys will post something to show what it was like back then.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Apprentice

jeepsternut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly Bud Ekins was the driver or co-driver, just a guess

Try these links

Classic Race Jeeps - January 2008 Sideways - Jp Magazine

http://image.motortrend.com/f/editor...+re0+ar1/3.jpg

So Long, Bud | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

THE TSY FRIDAY FADE | STEVE MCQUEEN’S DUNE BUGGY DAYS The Selvedge Yard
Quail Lodge Auction Preview – Bonhams & Butterfields – Sports Car Digest
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Apprentice

jeepsternut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Boot

More information, not a Jeepster and may not be what your looking for.

But here are some details on The Boot, driven by McQueen;

BaT – The best vintage cars for sale online Moon or Mexicali: Champion 1967 Baja Boot

"Out back a 350 cubic inch V8 sits just ahead of the rear axle but is mounted to deliver power forward. A Dana trasfer case, twin-stick shifter, and Corvette rear end components let the car also be run in front-drive only if desired. Brakes are 11-inch Hurst Airheart discs at all corners.?"

and then more pictures..

http://photos.ebizautos.com/used-196...038-12-640.jpg
Steve McQueen: Actor or Racer? Stardust 7-11
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Apprentice

Jeepsterjim is on a distinguished road

Vic Hickey drove and helped build the Boot. I remember seeing it at the riverside grand prix and down at the baja.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Addict

Thanks...I guessI spent the last hour cruising the links and not getting done some stuff I meant to. Great sites.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't remember Steve McQueen driving the Chuchua Jeepsters. They usually were driven by Sandy Cone and John Uldfelt. Sandy taught me to hill climb in the dunes at Pismo.

You might try 411 - last I heard Brian Chuchua was in business in Orange County, Ca, somewhere around Fullerton or Placentia etc. He has/had an independent Jeep repair shop.

If there's no listing with his name, try calling the Jeep dealer in Covina or Azusa, Ca - parts dept - ask for "Steamboat" - if he's still there he'll probably know where Brian is.

You might also try calling Doug's mufflers in Anehiem CA, ask for Doug Thorley. Yes, the real Doug Thorley. He might know.

If I remember right, Art Carr and Chuchua were friends. Seal Beach Transmission in Seal Beach, Ca. Ask for Art (the one and only!)

Or try calling Jim Serr.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Apprentice

HOWDY is an unknown quantity at this point

In the Baja documentary "Dust to Glory" there is footage of a Jeepster racing in the 70's but no team or driver info.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Addict

Thanks, RRich. McQueen didn't drive one, but a guy can hope...I have added onto my garage and have dedicated Jeepster parking now. I'm looking for memorabelia(Way too big a word)for atmosphere.
As always, thanks for all the replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement