Chevy 5.7 Liter Conversion - To Smog/Air Pump or No? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Apprentice

jeepsternut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chevy 5.7 Liter Conversion - To Smog/Air Pump or No?

Greetings and thanks in advance.

I poster this on the Pirate site in the Chevy forum but wanted to throw this on the Jeepster site too.

I have transplanted a 5.7 liter V8 from a 1988 Chevrolet Suburban to my 1968 Jeepster. I converted it to a single serpentine belt, minus the air/smog pump. Everything else is stock. All new single exhaust with a new catalytic converter.

From the reading and searching I have done on the air/smog pump it indicates to me that the primary role of the smog pump is during start-up when the engine and cat are heating up to improve the efficiency of the cat. I have read some comments that without the pump the cat can become clogged. I have also read that new generation cats are much more efficient than old generations and I would assume the 1988 Suburban falls into the "old cat" category. My Jeepster does not require smog inspection.

Is the above accurate or inaccurate?

Pros/Cons to the smog/air pump?

If no air pump, any idea what size plugs for the exhaust manifolds and where to get them ?

Thanks.

Jeepsternut
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

Jeepsterjim is on a distinguished road

why do you want to run a smog pump or converter? Does your state require it for that old of a vehicle?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

chains20 is an unknown quantity at this point

from what i understand you should be fine with removing the smog pump.
poor short fat white kid
Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Apprentice

Default Delayed...

Hi. The vehicle is in California. No smog required but I am very interested in keeping the fumes to a minimum so I had a cat installed with the new exhaust. I was concerned that the 5.7 from a 1988 Chevrolet Suburban, which had a smog pump, would ruin the cat. But upon further feedback and research, I decided to skip the pump.

I removed the stainess air pump tubing and welded the threaded ends up to make a plug.

pictures posted To Smog/Air Pump or No? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00309.jpg (82.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Duane:

Long time. I'm running a new GM HT383E with '99 Yukon EFI and no pump or cat. I hope your floorboard temp doesn't get out of hand with the cat. Sure wish we could buy those space shuttle tiles cheap to keep the heat out, as the heat shields available from places like Summit aren't as good as I'd like. Pics look good.
'73 J4000 w/GM L31/700R4/NP-205/D-44F/GM 14 Bolt
http://jonesys.com/project_detail.php?id=170
Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Apprentice

Long time indeed.

Havent driven it yet so unknown how bad the floor temp will be. The floor used to get pretty warm with the v6/th400.. The Jeepster is in pieces since I stripped it down for paint. Slowly putting it back together.

I should post some pics of the paint work and engine install/placement.

Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement