OT: 700r4 shifting late and hard - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Veteran

DaveGoodrich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT: 700r4 shifting late and hard

The 700r4 in my suburban just started shifting poorly. The 1-2 shift occurs late when under light throttle, and shifts very hard. The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are also late, but not as hard as the 1-2 shift. Basically, it shifts like I'm on the throttle hard, even when I'm not. Lifting the throttle won't produce an upshift under light throttle like it normally does. If I am accelerating hard, it shifts normally.

Seems like a problem with the throttle valve or TV cable, since the throttle position doesn't seem to be affedting shift points normally. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Addict

woods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: 700r4 shifting late and hard

Dave,
Is there a vacuum modulator on the 700?
That is what it sounds like with the 350 and 400 trannys have a vacuum leak or bad modulator.
Your rig is Diesel? Does it have a vacuum pump?
Good luck.
Ken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Hey Ken,

Yes, its a diesel and yes, it has a vacuum pump, but no, the 700r4 doesn't have a vacuum modulator. Engine load is determined by throttle position via the TV cable.

I have found some other info suggesting that it is something to do with the throttle valve or TV cable. Either a stuck valve due to some crud, or a broken or disconnected cable. I will start there, and report back.

Thanks,
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Veteran

I checked out the TV cable. It is frayed at the bracket, and doesn't seem to be moving freely. I will replace it, and hopefully that will take care of it.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
adrules12

hey ken,yup the tv cable is the criticle adjustment to those 7oos...i had one behind a chevy 350 i pulled out of a police car and stuck in a 55 willys wagon...if i remember correctly i went w an art carr kit. the tv cable will make or break how that thing shifts. i would look up the leading tranny builders web sites and find the initial setting then what i did was move it a notch at a time (made it tighter then drove it) till i got a nice firm shift...its pretty easy to set once youve done it a few times. good luck...adrules12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement