Holley 470 cfm Truck Avenger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Veteran

DaveGoodrich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holley 470 cfm Truck Avenger

I just saw an ad for a new, smaller Truck Avenger. Would probably work pretty well with an Offy intake on the 225. I wonder if it would be worth the extra $ compared to a 390 with the spring loaded needle and seat, lowered floats, etc.?

I don't see it listed on the Holley site, and nothing comes up on google, so I don't know if its actually available retail yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

clffhnger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holley 470 cfm Truck Avenger

I've seen it in the 4x mags. I still think its a little too large for a 225. I thought about calling them on that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Part number is 0-90470 but I couldn't find it on Holleys site. found it on a Cj5 board
Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Veteran

DaveGoodrich is an unknown quantity at this point

The size may be o.k. because of the vacuum secondaries. I once had an extended conversation with one of the tech guys at Kenne-Bell. He said even the vacuum secondary 600 cfm holley works well on the 225/231 (and yes, he knew I was talking about a jeep running at moderate rpms at most. Obviously it will never use the entire 600 cfm capacity, but he said the vacuum secondarys would prevent bogging and loss of torque at lower rpms, and give you as much as you need at higher rpms.

I would think with the small intake runners for the primaries on the Offy dual port intake, the low rpm performance would be even better. Also, the Truck Avenger has easily adjustable vacuum secondaries, so you could probably dial it in.

I will probably go for it, but house projects come first so it will probably be a while since it is working o.k. for now.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GRQster is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE ]
I will probably go for it, but house projects come first so it will probably be a while since it is working o.k. for now.

[/ QUOTE ]
House projects first huh? Maybe that's why mine is getting so run down! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

incommando is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Dave. The 225 will not draw too much, as the carb has vacuum secondaries, yet the carb still has the better flow charecteristics that enable it to use more air when needed. There is a huge difference beween a 600 cfm vacumm secondary carb and a 600 cfm mechanical secondary carb. Vacuum secondaries are much more forgiving. That Holley will flow a MAXIMUM of 470 cfm, but that doesn't mean it is always trying to shove that down the engine, along with the corresponding amount of fuel for the set air/fuel ratio. And you can always fine tune it. Just my 1.5 cents. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

It is 600 cfm?

As a 4 barrel the primaries would be 300 - a little smaller than the stock Rochester. So low end performance may actually go up a little - the velocity of the air goes faster, better atomization. The small runners help too. It may even feel "crispy" - nice. Mileage could go up too if it's jetted right.

Then the other 300 is "in reserve" when you need it.

It'd be even better if the primaries are smaller than the secondaries - spread bore.

Sounds good -- but if it's like the typical Holley with all the tiny passages, be prepared to have to blow it out and even take it apart on the trails. Carry a spray can of carb cleaner with a stick - on board air wouldn't hurt either.

I love Holleys -- but off road they get plugged really easy.

Good filtration is absolutely necessary.

Not long ago I saw a Jeep with a homemade box around the entire carb - across the top he had a big filter. The entire carb was enclosed. It was still new so he couldn't say if it helped or not. Yup, he said he was tired of trail fixing it. Probably not the Avenger, just a regular dual feed. That may be a good way to go.

By the way - jetting - is very important. My Chevy PU has the E-brock Performer. It used to get horrible mileage - maybe 3-4? A trip to town and back was almost 1/2 tank - 25 miles round trip. The rods and jets were the "recommended" ones.
I installed the biggest metering rods I had in an old strip kit I had - helped some.
Then I put in jets just two drill sizes smaller with the original metering rods - from #42 to #44 -- my calculations said it was only 3% leaner. Much better.
Then I put in the thickest rods I had, almost an 8% change from original.
Mileage went way up - 4 or 5 round trips to town on 1/2 tank now. (Gotta fix that speedo.) "Punch" performance has climbed too.
I still haven't had a chance to get an exhaust reading - yet.

Shows how critical getting it "dialed in" is.
Use the "propane trick" to get it dialed in.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rich, its a 470cfm made for smaller engines. Not sure what the primaries are.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Old Hand

Jayster is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave, Try looking on ebay, I picked up mine there for a little over 150.00 and it was like new. Didnt even need a rebuild. Then go buy some spring loaded needle/seats, buy some copper tubing for a couple of bucks and your done. The extra money you can put towards one of those lifetime filters like K&N. Holley makes a version too, which is the one I am running. The air cleaner design and element really seals the carb well. Im getting real close to having it dialed in. Only have a slight hesitation sometimes when cruising and then accelerating. Power gains have been night and day difference.
Prolly should note that with the offy intake you should mock up the throttle cable bracket before installing the intake and carb on the engine. Had to grind off some of the mounts that the offy intake supplies to get the stock bracket to work. ended up getting tons of aluminum shavings all over th e engine bay which sticks to just about everything and in every nook and cranny. Fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement