Wheelie bar wheels. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jeepster Jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheelie bar wheels.

A while back I read that some people are installing wheels on the back of their Jeepster so as to help keep the butt end from dragging and hitting rocks. I believe someone mentioned that toyo pick ups owners install them to help the rear area out.
Does any one have a link or pictures on how this is done?

Are the wheels large enough so they stick below the rea shackle?

Where would be the best area to mount them? in back of the shackle ? outboard,but next to the shackle? etc.

What sort of wheel would one use that would hold up? seems it would need to be very strong.

I thought of welding a 7"x7" gusset between the frame and outer portion of the rear crossmember and than mount HD wheels to the gusset.
[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Veteran

thomjpster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wheelie bar wheels.

I saw some quite a while ago, they were mounted on the lower shackle bolt. Most of the extra large motor homes have 'em, I would think you could get wheels there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

The cheaper route would be to bolt the smallest & HD casters you can find to the bumper/frame. They could be removed when you weren't bashing on the rocks and shouldn't run more than $20 each at Graingers/McMaster-Carr. Swivel casters might help, but could be a bit weaker for the same size.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

clffhnger is an unknown quantity at this point

Find a Camping World or other large RV supplier near you, there's tons along the 5, not sure about the 99 freeway. Anyway they have different sizes in stock, both bolt on and weld on types. They are pretty heavy duty, ment to carry much more than that of a Jeepster.
Drove right by your house day before New Years Eve, unfortunatley it was 3:30am, on my way to Tahoe I was comming from Washington. Other passes were all snowed in, then that one was too. Took me 14 1/2 hours to get to Tahoe from Sacramento. Next time I'll try to do it in the daytime, really wanted to see how your rig is comming along.
Happy New Year
Old 01-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jeepster Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

geez Tom u could have waited for 80 to clear from here lol.

Regarding wheels, What if a person intalled a wheel to eachside of the bottom shackle? It would be atached using the bottom shackle bolt. Would this not give the best movment for the wheel?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim,
I think you realize this, but attaching a wheel via JUST the bottom shackle bolt won't be enough. It'll have too much leverage applied and slip forward/backward just like the shackles in the bushings. If you could sturdy it up by using both top & bottom bolts without hendering flex, it might work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.