Disc brake Banjo bolt. How to seal?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DanStew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disc brake Banjo bolt. How to seal??

Well I had to step away from the jeep tonight. i got the disc and everything all installed and everything fits real nice. the one caliper is a litle tighter to rotor than the other, but i am not that worried it.
Well I installed my brake lines. Everything went to plan, but I am having a heck of a time getting the caliper to stop leaking. I was getting a little impatient with it and had to walk away so i don't over tighten it and strip threads. The banjo bolts are brand new. the two copper washers on each bolt are new. I even had extra washers, so I unbolted the bolt and placed new washers on after I crushed down the first leaking pair, but it is still leaking. What is my next course of action? Is there any type of sealant to maybe add to the surface of the copper washers? The only thing i am doing a little different is i have the hose mount a little differnet so that the metal part of the hose bends away from the tire. The way the hose mounts to the caliper I didnt think this would affect the sealing of the hose.
Thanks for the help.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Disc brake Banjo bolt. How to seal??

Notice the banjo has little ridges on both sides - sealing ridges.
The washers have to have compatible ridges so they fit together snug. The hole in the washer has very little clearance to keep them concentric.
You may have the wrong washers.
When you hold a washer up to the banjo you can feel if snap right in (right) or slide around on it (wrong.)
You should get a very tight fit with almost no leaks just finger tight, not gorilla tight. Then torquing it down just makes sure it stays tight.
Check the imprint on your washers.

No sealants, a sealant will get inside on the square O rings, causing major problems.

After it's sealed, stab the pedal hard, then let up. Both sides should have equal drag on the rotor (the stabbing gets everything lined up.)
If still unequal, find out why, else you'll have a pull and burn up the tight side.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-2002, 11:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Randyzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Most replacement copper washers are smooth, not ridged. RRich is right, there must be little to no slack around the bolt. Check the caliper surface and make sure the sealing area is machined properly. I've seen rebuilts where there is a ding in the sealing area. They'll never seal like that. When you remove the last set of washers, check how they are crushed. Does it look even? Could also be the sealing surface on the caliper was re-machined at an angle.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I will report later on the washers. they are smooth washers i know that for sure.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:49 AM
Old Hand

bigcheese is an unknown quantity at this point

just curious as to where you found the bolts @.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Mike,
I got the bolts at Autozone. The guys were clueless until i got one counterguy who actually used his brain for parts searches, rather than the computer. You might have to ask them to look in the little bins behind the counter. Thats where he found the bolts, and the copper washers are back there also.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Old Hand

bigcheese is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah well I tried everything you could imagine, no Luck and seems that Toad is having/had the same problem.
Dan go buy all of them, The redencks around here can't remember if their guitar has bolts.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Way Outta Control

RRich is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to see on the imprint why it's leaking - if it's leaking past the washer. You should be getting a definate imprint.
There's only 4 places where it can leak, on each side of both washers.
Have someone put pressure on it while you watch, you should be able to see where it's coming from.

Are you certain the bolt's not bottoming out? It may be just a tiny bit too long to get the washers tight enough. Try putting it in the hole without the banjo and washers to make sure it goes in farther than necessary.

I don't like the smooth copper washers, I've had trouble with them before. Maybe take a look at the old washers if you have them. The OEM's are usually steel with a soft layer of something over them, and already imprinted. I often have used the original washers and tossed the copper ones.
Some brake lines come with the steel imprinted ones.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Old Hand

Jayster is an unknown quantity at this point

Could it be the hose itself? The hose fitting needs to fit the bolt too.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Addict

psaam is an unknown quantity at this point

Clarification, there should be two copper washers on each brake line, one either side of the brake line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement