yj springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeepster-American Jeepster Club

Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2002, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default yj springs?

whats involved in converting to yj springs? and what are the advantages?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: yj springs?

I think Toad did that on the PineLog's frontend last year. From what he said, it flexed like mad. Maybe Toad & Pat will comment on the conversion & ride aspects for you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:18 AM
Carey

When I put the YJ springs under mine it was all custom fabrication. The spring pin of the originals is offset to the rear 21/25 on the factory front springs, the YJ springs are a center pin 23/23. Plus they are 2-1/2" wide. Actually Wagoneer springs are closer to the originals at 22/25 but I wanted to be able to go buy a complete aftermarket lift kit and such so I based mine on the YJ all around. I did a complete custom front suspension on mine. I have outboard springs plus shackle reversal and YJ 2-1/2" lift springs with Spring over for a total of about 9" of lift. I am still working on the steering though, with the shackle reversal it I can't just bolt up the strock waggoneer steering like my buddy did on his 73 without the reversal. The distance I have to work around is the same distance I created with the reversal.

The rear only required making new mounts about 10" forward of the rear crossmember, but again this was custom fabrication work. Factory rear springs are 56" long with 23/33 offset to the front. YJ springs are 46" long with23/23 centered pin.

I rolled the bare frame out of the garage last weekend on 36's and the top of the frame sits 35-1/2" high on level ground. I will lose some of that when I put the drivetrain and body back on, but I don't think I will have to cut anymore of the body, at least not much, or have a body lift to clear the tires when I am finished.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jeepster Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

I am curious myself why one would put shorter springs under a Jeepster. I am looking at even longer springs than the stock Jeepster ones. Chevy trucks use a 57" spring. I just made up a rear spring set up that incoperated Jeepster and Waggie leaves and it should work great.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hurcules is an unknown quantity at this point

The front springs are the same length, just wider and stronger. You do loose some approach angle, but nothing serious. The rear the problem with the stock ones is that unless your rig is really high 10" of lift and more, the departure angle sucks. When I had just a bit of lift and 33's, I smacked and drug the shackles over everything, and they were only 1" longer than stock. I just bobbed the rear of my Jeepster 13", so I will now be running wranlger springs in the rear, I am not sure if it will get stiff on me and not flex in the rear, but the departure angle looks so much better. Another nice thing is the availibility of cheap new and old springs, easy to find spares when you are away from home. The Toyota guys seem to favor the long chevy springs.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just finished my front springover.Used stock 2 leaf springs 3 inches wide from an `82 full size Blazer.I only gained an inch of lift, and now I have 2" of negative arch on the springs sitting level.They can compress 4 more inches,but the drop is gobbs more than I expected.I had to redrill the center hole, but this should not pose a problem as the old hole is captured between the perch and the top plate.I did however move the hole 1 inch toward the rear so it is now a c-103 Drayson style.The rear hanger had to be spread 1 inch and the front, drilled out with a hole saw and a tube welded in to accomodate the
3 1/2 wide shackles.The rear hanger also had to be drilled out for a 9/16 bolt.

I like the lower sitting jeep with the large amount of droop availible.This weekend, the rear gets a makeover.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm gonna do a soa in the next couple of months. the spring under my jeepster are in good shape. still have arc. they may have 2" of lift, can't be sure.they just need new bushings. should i keep these spring or look into yj springs. i'm also worried about the departure angle, does anyone make gas tank skid plates? i smashed my tank on a rock the first week i had my commando. i don't want to get a new tank and do the same thing.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:07 PM
poscj5

It looks like the gas tank skid plate off a '72-75 CJ would work on a '73 Commando. A front mount may need to be fabbed but no big deal.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

dbricco is an unknown quantity at this point

Been on vacation and just able to reply. I did a wrangler conversion on the front only. I built all my mounts. You can see pictures at www.jeepster.org. Look for the links to suspension and steering.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Pooh-Bah

uglyjeepoffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Drayson on the "Crounching Tiger" look on a Jeep. I have friends with SOA and add a leaves on their Cj's just to fit 35's. Mine sits sooo much lower but has the same tires and just as much flex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement