Radiator question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2001, 12:39 AM
Addict

surveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radiator question

Well I went to take the jeep for a shake down cruise, and long story short, I need a new rad. the old one is missing most of the little fins on the front, and the fan at one time or another hit the back.
I went to get one today at scottys 4x4 in fontana, and I wasn't really paying attnetion and the offset of the one I bought is wrong. its towards the engine, and my existing one was away from the engine. With the other one on there, it only gave me a quarter inch between the fan and the rad. I also noticed that the rad. cap was in the middle and mine is on the drivers side.
I went to NAPA and looked at the 2 row rads, and they looked nearly exact as mine, except one thing, the rad is in the center, and not on the drivers side like mine. I don't believe that that would make a difference. it also has the holes at the bottom for the tranny fluid, (mines an automatic) where the one from scottys didn't have them.
ANYWAYS, 1)does rad cap position make a difference? 2) does scottys give refunds?
thanks
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2001, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Radiator question

YOu have the unique mid 80s CJ radiator with the offset cap. It is the ONLY one that will work in that vehicle without getting a different fan, if you want to use the stokc fan you must get the correct radiator. That particular radiator is a very dense 2 row, extremely efficient, in fact more efficient than most 3 rows, but you will note it is very narrow, the tubes are packed very densely. I stongly suggest going with that same radiator, the only downside is it is more expensive, you can find it for approx. $205 dollars, thats what I paid for one a year ago, I did a search a week or two or ago just for the heck of it at one of the online shops posted here, one had it, one didn't know what I was talking about. Any decent shop should be able to order you one, I bought mine locally, the guy said they sell several of those a year.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2001, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing I forgot to mention, that radiator is part of the heavy duty cooling package offered for that year I believe 83 and 84. That may help you locate one.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
Old 12-23-2001, 11:16 AM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

Take your old one to a rad shop and ask what options they can give you on putting in a new core. This way you can have the offset anyway you want it with as may fins per inch and rows of tubes you want. The older factory ones were 5/8" tubes and 17 FPI. You can have a 3 row one made with 24 FPI and with 3/8" tubes you can keep it in the same spacing as your old ones. Quite an upgrade in cooling performance too.
To be honest, I'm not sure what Brad is talking about. My 85 has the offset cap and a 258 so it has the closest spacing. I have 2 spares out of AMC cars (mid 80's concordes, spirit) and 3 rows thick. All will drop right in IF you exchange the mounting brackets. I have no issues with fan clearence at all. If you don't flip the brackets you will have the EXACT problems you are running into. Same holds true with my buddy's rad out of his 78 CJ. (360) I had to borrow it for a weekend and a quick swap of the brackets was all it took. I might add, let a rad shop do this for you if you want it done right AND strong. I ran and worked in 2 different ones for almost 15 years.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
dirtdog@shortwheelbase.com
Old 12-23-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've never tried doing what dirtdog suggest, that is swapping brackets, but no reason it won't work if the radiator thickness isn't too different. You will notice that the original radiator is VERY thin, and it is also slightly larger than your standard 2 or 3 row. We may not be talking about the same radiator, but I would think we are. I'm the original owner of my CJ and Iknow it came with the heavy duty cooling, and that particular radiator with the offset cap is rather unique. Good luck.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
Old 12-23-2001, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

But, the bottom line here is if you get the correct radiator, it will drop right in, no having to mess with brackets or anything. I've replaced mine twice in the past 16 years, had no problem getting the correct radiator.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
Old 12-23-2001, 11:46 AM
Addict

Man my Jeepchick is gonna love this one!

It makes sence that this has a heavy duty one. It was owned at one time by the city of Hunintion beach in their lifeguard division. and they beat it preatty good.

Which place did you find that knew what you were talking about and had it?
Would you happen to know of any model numbers that I can use a a refference to search for one?
I found one at radiator.com, for $135, but it shows center cap, nothing about heavy duty. I knew it was to good to be true.
the one at NAPA I found, closely resembals it, but its a center cap. I haven't had them right next to eachother to compare the fins though. the one at NAPA was $175
If I found a two-row, with the fan spacing right, would it work? are the heavy duty ones that much more efficit at cooling that I would see a noticable difference, crusing around on trails?

And why havent I ever seen this stated before? everyone has a jeep site, no one ever said this! LOL.
Lets see how many more unique parts this beast has!
surveyboy

Old 12-23-2001, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The issue here is the stock fan clutch makes the fan stick WAY out. One of the online radiator stores had it, NOT radiators.com, it was the other one, can't remember its name, but it was mentioned in that post about online radiator shops a week or so ago.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
Old 12-23-2001, 11:09 PM
Veteran

BMB is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure my Jeep(83) has the same radiator that cjjeepercreeper is describing. It is thin and wide, with the offset cap, and has the six bladed fan. It seems to be pretty good at keeping it cool and if you put your hand in front of the grill you can feel it really pull the air through. 4WheelDrive Hardware lists an offset cap radiator for $219, but it doesn't say HD or not.

BMB

Old 12-23-2001, 11:20 PM
Addict

are the heavy duty ones really worth it? I comparded the two and the difference of 2 inches, I don't think is all that much different. I just don't know that the heavy duty ones are worth the extra dough.
what other options came with the 'heavy duty' cooling package?
thanks
surveyboy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement