Correct placement of Trailer running Lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2001, 12:00 AM
Addict

surveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Correct placement of Trailer running Lights

Hey all, I am getting a car trailer cleaned up and I need to put new running lights on it. I know they come in red and yellow, but I was wondering, is there a specific placement that they should be put? ie red on drivers side, yellow on passengers side, or red in front of axles and yellow behind axles.
I figured since alot of you guys trailer you jeep to the big trails, you may know.
thanks
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Correct placement of Trailer running Lights

mine has yellow on the sides the two tail/brakelights and then three red running lights in between the taillight on the very back of the trailer

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2001, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yellow lights on the front corners and red on the rear. Go look at a new car trailer if you're not sure where to put the lights.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Old 12-02-2001, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

laws are sometimes different from state to state...you might want to look at DOT laws in your state....the only thing I do know is in washington when you haul your mother in law on your car trailer and her fat butt hangs off both sides more than one foot...you need to get out the old hand stapler and staple a oversize load sign to her butt....she never did like that part.....oh how I love that woman..

Old 12-02-2001, 09:46 PM
Little_W

Yellow marker lights go towards the front of the trailer, usually in front of the axle. They indicate the front of the trailer to crossing traffic. They should be on the flat side of the trailer's outer edge, not on the trailer tongue or the frame angle to the coupler. The red marker lights are on the rear of the trailer usually incorporated into the tail/stop/marker light unit. If the trailer is long enough a separate red marker light is used. There is usually only one red marker light per side, but there can be numerous yellow ones in front of it.
Marker lights are wired into the tail light sircuit. I like to add an additional yellow marker light to the front of the trailer wired into the directional signals. The 3 red light bar referred to above is needed if the trailer is over 80 " wide to indicate a wider load. Hummers have these 3 red lights due to their width, too.
hope this helps
w

Old 12-02-2001, 09:47 PM
Little_W

Yellow marker lights go towards the front of the trailer, usually in front of the axle. They indicate the front of the trailer to crossing traffic. They should be on the flat side of the trailer's outer edge, not on the trailer tongue or the frame angle to the coupler. The red marker lights are on the rear of the trailer usually incorporated into the tail/stop/marker light unit. If the trailer is long enough a separate red marker light is used. There is usually only one red marker light per side, but there can be numerous yellow ones in front of it.
Marker lights are wired into the tail light sircuit. I like to add an additional yellow marker light to the front of the trailer wired into the directional signals. The 3 red light bar referred to above is needed if the trailer is over 80 " wide to indicate a wider trailer.. Hummers have these 3 red lights due to their width, too.
hope this helps
w

Old 12-02-2001, 10:33 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Perhaps this will help:

FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) #108 Specifications for Location
and Visibility of all Side and Rear Lights and Reflectors ...

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement