winter driving with a locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2001, 05:01 PM
Journeyman

lil_boss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default winter driving with a locker

do any of you have any tricks you use wile driving a locked cj-5 on slick roads? neural allot? 4 high? stay home?

gdm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2001, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: winter driving with a locker

Be ready to spin. The locker has a tendency to push the thing sideways, then the rear wants to pass the front end. Go slow, try not to accelerate or brake too fast, and always stay in too low of a gear for the speed your at and just let the engine slow you down, works around town real well to just drive in second gear. Or just stay home or drive something else if you have it.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2001, 05:36 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Be VERY careful--even fullsize rigs with lockers can be a handful on ice. That's the reason my pickup doesn't have lockers on either end. I had a '77 Chevy once with limited slip on both ends, and it DIDN'T like to turn on the ice. If you have something else to drive, that would be the best answer. My CJ5 is parked for the winter, except to move in and out of the garage.

"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"
Old 11-27-2001, 05:42 PM
Journeyman

i will have to tow to the snow

gdm
Old 11-27-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure if I'm clarifying or disagreeing with ya, CJcrawler...Do you mean a gear ratio numerically low gear, or a gear # numerically low gear?

For the winter driving with a locker, you want to limit application of power to the drive wheels, to avoid spinning them. TO do this, avoid really low gears (1st, low, etc.) Use higher gears, easy application of power, and think way ahead before you speed up, turn, or brake. Maybe start out in second instead of first (or even third if you've got a tranny with a granny first)...Don't misread this, I am not encouraging anyone to burn their clutch up using too high of a gear...but...

Think about driving on a slippery surface in terms of a finite amount of traction. ON dry roads, you have 25 units of traction. Normal Turning takes 10 units, normal braking takes 10 units, Normal accelerating takes 10 units. So you can turn and accelerate normally, turn and brake normally, etc. You can also accelerate rapidly and turn normally...all without exceeding the available traction (exceeding the available traction results in loss of control). On snow, you're down to 10 units of traction available. ON ice, more like 3-5. Don't exceed the available traction, and you're fine...locker or not. The same basic rules apply...but locked vehicles are more prone to "steering by throttle" where even gentle throttle application can cause the locked axle to spin both tires and thereby lose traction at that axle.

If you do feel slip, there are a few options, depending on what is slipping.
If braking and you feel slip, ease up on the brakes to regain traction. ONce the wheels are spinning again, gently reapply brakes. There are 2 theories here...the first is the old "pump the brakes" method, where you do the poor man's ABS. The second theory is something called threshold braking, where you step on the brakes as hard as you can without locking them up...if a tire locks up, release the brakes and try again. Threshold braking is more difficult but more effective than poor man's abs.

If accelerating and you lose traction, well, if you're on the street, let off the gas a bit, or step on the clutch if needed, to regain traction. If you're turning and accelerating and you start slipping sideways, stepping on the clutch can often help a lot.

If turning and you start to slip, things can be complicated. Losing speed would be desirable, but trying to turn and brake will only be a futile attempt to use more traction than you have. Let off the gas, step on the clutch, and try to back off the steering wheel until you regain traction...you may not turn quite as tight as you'd like, but it's better than nothing. The other tactic for turning...well it's best practiced in a parking lot until you get used to it. IN a 4wd or FWD vehicle, you can apply more gas, and use the front axle to pull you around a corner...but this is best done only after practicing and then with extreme caution.

The only change between locked and unlocked is that both rear tires will react the same...so if you spin one tire, you've got no 'anchor' to hold the rear end from sliding laterally. So you'd best exercise more caution. Once you get used to it, I don't think it is a detriment at all...and IMHO, driving on slippery surfaces with a manual and a locker is easier than with an auto and a locker...because you can more accurately modulate power application, can affirmatively select the gear, and can step on the clutch as needed to stop application of power.

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:00 PM
utahjeepr

They can be a handfull on icy or snowpacked roads. Real fun when you get like 2 feet of fresh stuff overnight though, you get to be the only one moving for a while. The tips given will help, you can also throttle out of trouble. You have to be careful about it. Hit a big empty parking lot and practice pitching it into a slide and throttling out of it while steering into the skid. It takes a bit of practice before you learn the knack. Throttle can make a slide or spin much worse until you have practiced and learned the trick of driving out of it. Use 2wd unless 4 is absolutely needed and then only slowly and carefully. No 75 MPH 4-hi freeway blastin... Bad things happen fast when you try that.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Old 11-27-2001, 06:21 PM
Addict

rice701 is an unknown quantity at this point

about what utahjeeper said. I would recommend eather making sure where you aer putting your jeep into a slid is solid ice so you dont take your lifted jeep out there and go into a sideways slide and hit a dry spot and roll it. You can do what utah said in any car you have so i would recommend learning how to regain control of a slid by steering into it in a car and not your jeep.

And if anyone is interested in taking a class on how to stay in control of your vehical, i recomend a class called extreme measures. I took this class and i thought it was going to be gay, but it kicked so much ass. They basically put you on a giant skid pad and you slide around on it for a day and learn how to regain control of your vehical. Then the second day you learn how to take corners and what to when something happens. THen the best part about the class is the last half of the second day the set up an autocross course and you basically go as fast as you can while still staying in control, its so much fun.
WEll peace
ANdrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
Old 11-27-2001, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

utahjeepr
75 MPH not in your wildest dream, not on any day, not even towed. i had it on the snow once last year, crusted over deep snow and was able to stay on top, that was a blast and i do not want to give that up, i plan on doing more this year. The problem is getting to it. It was kind off SCARY on packed snow. this thing came around fast, and a bunch, nothing like before the locker. i do not have to drive to work or to the store, unless i want to. i hope we get some snow down here on the valley floor so i can go out and get use to it.
greg

gdm
Old 11-28-2001, 02:02 AM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

utahjeeper has a great idea--go play in a parking lot. An iced over lake is even better (that is one of the first places my dad let me play in the winter with his Chevy before I got my license!--nothing to hit!), but sounds like you may have a ways to drive for that!

"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"
Old 11-28-2001, 08:45 AM
utahjeepr

Be very careful about playing on frozen lakes. I lost a nice F-250 that way. The tires sunk through the ice and the truck was sitting on the frame. I went for some help and when I got back the whole truck was gone. My Dad (who owned the truck, I was maybe 16) was REALLY PISSED.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement