ARB vs. OX? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2001, 02:19 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Infernozx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARB vs. OX?

I was just wondering if anyone had any info comparing these two?
I'm nowhere close to putting in lockers (they are coming after I get D44's front and rear.)
But I'm just thinking way way way ahead.

Am I right in saying both are like welding the axle with an on/off switch?
Ox is cable, ARB is air?
Pro's con's on each?
Anyone have a site for the OX?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2001, 07:13 AM
sas87yj

Default Re: ARB vs. OX?

http://www.oxtrax.com/

i have never wheeled with anyone owning an OX but many with ARB. they both give you a full-lock and dis-engage for an open axle on pvmt. ARB uses air for power and OX uses a cable. i am getting ready to re-gear and install lockers but can't decide which ones i want!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:17 AM
utahjeepr

I have wheeled with a bunch of ARB equipped vehicles. The ARB itself seems to be very dependable from what I have seen. The downfall seems to be electrical gremlins and torn air lines. Only drivability problem I have seen with ARB is getting the ABR to lock/unlock on short notice.

I have seen a lot of guys fighting to get them locked/unlocked. Say you have to climb a nasty ledge, turn sharp, and up another nasty ledge, all in a very tight confined area. The ARB is basically a spool when locked to climb the first ledge but now you have to stop and try to unlock it because you can't manage to make the turn. You have lost momentum and your rear end is still only halfway up the first ledge. The only problem is that the diff has a little "bind" in it and it won't unlock. You fiddle with it, shifting between R-N-F gears and get it to unlock. You can now make your turn. Now you have to get it to lock in order to climb the second nasty ledge. Usually that is much easier and doesnt require as much of a fight. You hit the button, start driving and spin a tire until the arb locks up. That is the "ARB dance" that guys have to go through on the top of the last waterfall on Sledgehammer (the last watrfall is normally skipped by most people who run sledge. Most people think the long sandy hill is the "exit", it is not. It is the bypass for the last waterfall. Yep, that ugly nasty "cliff" in front of you is the last waterfall)

I have only seen one OX in action, also on Sledge. He seemed to have a little more trouble locking and unlocking than the ARB guys most of the day. On the last waterfall his dance was slightly different. He started up, the locker went "BANG", and after that all it did was "ratchet". That is only one example, but it is the only one I have seen in action. So, in my experience Ox lockers have a 100% failure rate.

Living in the land of ice, snow, and Molson. I can understand why you want a selectable locker. My advice would be the ARB until the OX proves itself. "Dancing" is better than breaking any day of the week.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Old 11-27-2001, 06:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Gotta love that..

"...the locker went "BANG", and after that all it did was "ratchet"."

I was looking ARB.
I can't see money really being an object.
I'd rather wait twice the time and get somthing that's the best, even if I don't need it, then wait the normal ammount of time and get somthing I'll have to upgrade in a short while.

I thought about Detroits and L/S, but quite frankly, even with a 6 pt cage I don't want to be plumeting off a 100 odd foot cliff into a river cause the detroit spun me in the snow.
And at the same time the tires spinning 4 rotations or whatever for the l/s then throwing me off the cliff isn't much of an improvement.

I drove down the road today in 2wd, with only about 1/4" of snow on the ground, and I fishtailed twice and did a 180 once in less then 4 minuites of driving.
(and that's with 33/9.5 BFG AT's, I was hopeing to go to 33/12.5 BFG MT's some time soon. but that looks kinda like it's off the board right now.)

I keep having to explain to everyone that my vehicle, even though it's jacked up, big grippy tires, is worse then their Honda Civic in the snow.

Old 11-27-2001, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like you've got a driving problem, not a jeep problem. See the post on driving with a locker for advice on driving in the winter in general. Don't blame the jeep. BTW, why no 4wd?

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't even have a locker yet.

I think there was a layer of ice under the snow, either way, I was just having fun and playing around trying to get used to pulling out of spins and other stuff that can happen on the road.
I didn't turn on the 4wd, cause I was just testing it out on some snowy patches.
And before you get all Bla Bla Bla about safety and driving is a serious responsibility... it's a desolate road at 5 in the morning.
Noone was there, and I didn't have any passangers.

Old 11-27-2001, 11:10 PM
Veteran

KentuckyCrawler is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an OX Locker that I have been running for about 5 months without any real problems. I don't wheel with alot of pedal because I don't really have to. There are a couple of things that I have run into with the locker.

1st - In the front the routing of the cable is crucial. The cable is very rigid and when you run it you cant bend it sharp. The major obstical is to keep it away from the tire/brakes.
2nd - I have not had a problem with it but the cable enters the diff cover on the bottom half, there is no way it will sustain a direct hit from a rock or stump. You need to build some tupe of differential skid plate that will protect the fitting at the cover.

So far this is about all I can see that would be a problem. I have no problem engaging it, and I has never failed to engage for me. IMO it is a good locker, when it lasts me a couple of year I will says its great then. (Knock on wood)

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock
Old 11-28-2001, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I vote Ox, I'd say the guy with the "Bang" didn't have the shifter installed correctly, it most likely banged out of engagement and the fork was hitting the case, the cause for the other sounds. Getting the cable mounted and the shifter working right are the biggest problems with these found so far.

waiting on the 1-tons!
Old 11-28-2001, 05:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i vote detroit! put it in and fogetabatit....oh wait that wasn't an option

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.