Brake bleeding problems! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...
jamgood96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake bleeding problems!

I got all my brake lines installed and started bleeding my brakes. Well, I bled and bled for over an hour, and there still seems to be air in the system. What am I doing wrong? I'm just having my girlfriend pump the pedal a few times, and then I open the bleeder screw. She's keeping constant pressure on the pedal and says it does go down. Sycho mentioned that my M/C could be leaking air, but I've never had a problem with it before. Could something else be leaking air? Wouldn't fluid leak from it? Also, I wasn't real sure which hole the bleeder screw went in on my caliper. There was a hole on the side, and one on the top. I installed the bleeder screw on the top, pointing up, and the brake line on the side. When I'd open the bleeder screw, fluid would come out. But it would also come out between the threads. I'm using a hose connected to the screw. Any ideas? Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2001, 08:20 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brake bleeding problems!

Do a search on bleeding brakes. I posted something a week or so ago about how to do it with the calipers. I've had the same problem with air.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2001, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

1977CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always found that bench bleeding the master cylinder first, helped in the entire bleeding process. and you can get the plastic bleeding kit for about $2. It will also show you if your master cylinder is leaking.

1977 CJ-7
258/3speed
2.5"lift
and lots of duct tape
<><
Old 11-18-2001, 10:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I assume bench bleeding means it's on the "bench"? Or am I way off?

Old 11-18-2001, 11:30 PM
Veteran

bluseman2a is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a search on "gravity bleed", I posted some advice a while back when H8Monday was having a problem. As a matter of fact pretty much the entire "mushy brakes" thread of his was pretty good for this kind of thing.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Old 11-19-2001, 01:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone tried the little contraption below? Does it work, or should I stick to the gravity bleeding? How exactly does that little contraption work?

I tried the gravity bleed earlier and it didn't seem to help much. I only left the bleeder screws open about 5 minutes, as I was low on brake fluid.

Should I just get some more fluid and then let 'er rip? I just loosen all 4 bleeder screws(with the M/C cap off) and let them drip for a while? How long is a while? Can I run some rubber tubing off them so I can catch the liquid and not make a mess? How about taking the calipers off? Is this a must do? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2001, 02:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey bud, I bought one of those bleeder kits to bleed a hydro clutch in my Yj, they're easy to use and work great. Just read the directions on the box of one, there pretty strait foward. You might be taking the bleeder screw too far out, It should only take like a quarter turn or so,( I think) And make sure you hold the bottle above the bleeder screw-like it says in the directions. I've always had trouble bleeding brakes too, so don't feel bad! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2001, 11:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I got one of those kits and it still didn't seem to change much. I probably am opening the bleeder valve too far. I assume with this kit you keep the cover on the M/C, correct? Any other tips?

I tried the gravity bleed and it seemed to help a little. Maybe I'm just so used to a Saturn Wagon's brake pedal, that it feels weird. Anymore tips?

Old 11-20-2001, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't really know what else to tell you, Maybe you've got a bad master cyl. or something if it still feels really mushy... The last time I bled a hydro system was my clutch, so I'll go into detail just incase it might be usefull.. 1. I broke the bleeder(s) loose, and snugged them back closed before putting little rubber line on the end of them.. 2. filled fluid up FULL, (I left the cap on while bleeding, I don't think you're supposed to, though.) 3. installed bleeder "gizmo" with the rubber hose on the bleeder screw. Used magnet to hold the bottle above the (in your case caliper).. 4. Had a friend push pedal, I then loosed screw and let air bubbles/fluid out.. It took a few times to finally get a solid stream of fluid, I had to refill resev. several times, and had to empty little bottle once before I got a steady stream.. Thats it, I know thats stuff you probably already know and tried, but I 'm bored am trying to help![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2001, 04:29 PM
Addict

jjh40 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had good luck with the bleeder bottle kit. It worked great once. I think the fluid did some thing to the plastic because it became very brittle and all the pieces broke. The magnet still works good to hold papers on my tool box though.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement