Oil Leak at Dipstick Tube - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2001, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

1977CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Leak at Dipstick Tube

Well my luck ran out. I found another oil leak, this time it is comming from the dipstick tube on my 258. I removed the tube and put ultra copper gasket goop on it but now it just travels up the tube and out the top it seems. How do I stop the leak and should it be doing that?

thanks in advance

1977 CJ-7
258/3speed
2.5"lift
and lots of duct tape
<><
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil Leak at Dipstick Tube

Well either everyone else is out wheelin' or nobody else knows the ansewer... so I guess I'll chime in.
1. Was the dipstick tube:
a. broken at the block?
b. cracked?
2. I'm assuming "b" above and you used the gasket goop to seal the crack.
3. Now comes the confusing part..Is there oil acutually coming up and out the dipstick tube?
4. Again I'm assuming you have a short stubby dipstick tube, not the long one.

Are my assumptions correct? If so, then look at the motor mounts, one may be broken, and the engine my be leaning a little toward the passenger side. You'd be surprised how many Jeepers miss this little problem. If the mount is bad the oil filter may be resting mighty close to the mount. If the mount is good, and the engine is level, then look at your PVC valve. If the crankcase pressure can't be vented... the pressrure seeks it's own vent... and the dipstick tube is the easiest place to vent. When this happens it takes oil with it...

Now if the pvc is good, then the crankcase is still being overpressurized. The overpressurization can occur from a pinhole in the pistion or bad rings. Remember "blow-by" goes both ways.

Of course then there's the simple things... the oil capacity has been exceeded.. or you overfilled the oil level...or there's water/coolant in the oil to raise the level (but I'd think you'd notice this).

That'll give you a few things to check out.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2001, 12:46 AM
utahjeepr

I was goin to suggest much the same as LEVE. If you are pushing oil to the top of the dipstick tube, you have an over-pressure condition in the crankcase. Bad PCV and/or excessive blowby would be my first suspects. Also, the best way to seal the dipstick tube into the block is with weld sealant.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Old 11-18-2001, 06:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem, I was certain that oil was being forced out the top of the dipstick tube. I had received some advice on this board regarding a "short dipstick tube" - maybe also from Leve. While excessive blow by or crankcase pressure was likely my cause I wasn't prepared to attack those more expensive things at the time. The oil leak I had was so bad that it was blowing back from the dipstick tube, soaking the undercarriage, transfer case linkage etc. It was terrible. Since Leve's advice seemed right on the money I tried to locate a longer tube. No luck or maybe I didn't search hard enough. Anyway the mechanic I use solved my problem and it is great. He extended the dip stick tube (not thrilled with the way it looks under close scrutiny) by using a GM style tube that now extends as high as the valve cover. If you reply that you are interested, on Monday I will call him and get the particulars on which style or model tube he used. He drained and refilled with the 5 quarts at that time to be certain of the calibration of the oil level on the dipstick itself. This took place maybe 6 months ago and I have not had ANY oil leaking from the area. It has stayed really clean and this extension solved the problem for me. John

Old 11-18-2001, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

The dipstick tube was not broken, nor the block cracked. The motor mounts are new and the engine is level. The oil capacity is right at full. LEVE, your post on PCV and Venting is interesting, I will check my PCV valve.

Thanks

1977 CJ-7
258/3speed
2.5"lift
and lots of duct tape
<><
Old 11-18-2001, 09:02 AM
funjoh

Interesting discussion in the dipstick. I have been chasing a oil leak that shows evidence around the dipstick. What are the details on a long tube and where can they be purchased?

John

Old 11-18-2001, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

You guys were right. It seemed that my PCV valve was stuck closed. I forked out the $3.00 and no more oil from the dipstick tube!

Thanks

1977 CJ-7
258/3speed
2.5"lift
and lots of duct tape
<><
Old 11-18-2001, 08:09 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Funjoh, AMC introduced a long dipstick on the 258 on their more "upscale models." The dipstick is long and comes up out of the engine to about above the distributor. It makes it a little easier to check the oil, but it's one heck of a long dipstick tube and dipstick. It secures to the head with one of the coil holder bolts.

Old 11-18-2001, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Funjoh, Leve's fix is likely the best bet since it is a part off a Jeep engine. However, I will get the other dip stick tube information tomorrow if I can and post it tomorrow evening.

Old 11-20-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Adam, took me a while but here is the deal on the dip stick tube used on my CJ. It is the transmission dip stick from a 1996/1997 or later Blazer or Jimmie (other GMs may be the same, I don't know). Installation isn't especially easy due to the fact that the diameter of the GM is larger than the 258. The mechanic that installed it swedged it out just a tiny bit and welded on a piece of tubing that matched the 258 dip stick tube diameter. Then he used a very short piece of quality rubber hose, butted the two tubes (stock Jeep and the welded on "adaptor" connecting them with a hose clamp over the rubber hose on both sides of the connection. I could send a photo but I don't have access to a digital camera for another couple of days. The top of the new dipstick is quite tall, reaches just a bit higher than the valve cover. This new dipstick is the style that has two o-rings on the dip stick itself, and a cam lock to keep it secure, really works great for me. John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement