pto winch questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2001, 05:18 PM
Old Hand

gigolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pto winch questions

After this weekends stuck, i'm in need of a winch. I have been looking around and it seems to be that a used pto winch would provide me with the most power for the least cost. (i've got an nv4500) I haven't ever done any pto stuff before so I need to do some learning. I figure since i've got the tranny to do it, and the winch is cheap(er), I should go for it. But, can someone point me to where I can find out about the hookups i'll need, what winches will work with my tranny, that sort of stuff? Any other advice on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.
Adam

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2001, 05:57 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: pto winch questions

Well, the PTO gear off the tranny is going to be the hardest to find. After that you'll need the driveshaft to fit between the two, and you're all set.

I got my PTO (shifter and driveshaft) off a 5 ton truck for $25 in a junkyard, they also used the SM465, so when I find a PTO winch it'll go in the rear. I don't think the PTO for the NV4500 would be very common, but you might try wreckers or larger trucks.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2001, 11:27 AM
Old Hand

gigolo is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, i've been trying to find out all I can, but there isn't much useful info that I can find. I have just a few more questions.

1)Will pretty much any pto driven winch work?

2)Do I just need to make sure that the pto gear and winch u-joints match? Nothing else matters to connect them right?

3)Can you change the size of joints on the winch or pto to make them work together? (if I get lucky and get both used)

I found a site, http://www.ptohydraulics.com that says they do all pto needs. I'm just afraid of what they're gonna want for it. And, if I get a special made one from them i should probably get the winch first and then have them match the joints so I don't have to try and change joint size. I'm really in a hard spot, I need the winch to know what size pto joint I need, but I don't want to buy a pto winch and find out it's really expensive to get the pto for the tranny. I emailed the pto site, so I guess i'll see what they say about prices.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2001, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I might be all wet here but isn't the pto hookup on the tranny either in or out...and not the right set-up for a pto winch...on mine like all I have seen...with the pto on the transfercase..you shift the transfer case into neutral...then put the winch in gear and you use your transmission for winch control four speeds ahead and one back

Old 11-17-2001, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

take a look at Ebay...there is an 8000 pound koenig and the one off the scout is a 8000 ramsey....both are under rated and will pull till the line snaps

Old 11-18-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are two types of drives. One is one-way, the other is forward and reverse. I bought a sm465/np205 that alrady had a forward/reverse drive, driveshaft, and ramsey 4-ton winch. He had the drive on the tranny and the winch in the front. I looked at putting it on the transfer to put the winch on the back, but it was too far to run the drive shaft all the way down my bed. I believe that all the PTO "spots" on the tranny (one on each side of the 465) and the transfer (one on drivers side) are the same. Foreign trucks have a straight tooth design, and american has a slanted tooth. I'm pretty sure that most american ones are the same.

J-ust
E-nough
E-ssential
P-arts
Old 11-19-2001, 03:23 PM
Nickmil

Tranny PTO's are NOT ALL THE SAME!. There are tooth count differences, different pitches on the gears, etc. You must have a pto designed to work with your tranny or transfer case or you chance destroying gears. Also, for a winch you will want a reversible pto unit or you will only have power one way if running off a transmission. Reason is it runs off the cluster gear which no matter which gear you are in only turns one way. If you have the NV 4500 with the 5.61 first gear then Call Six States Distributing. They should be able to put one together for you. Also look in late model industrial trucks with this tranny as some of them had PTO's. The one for my 6.34-1 NV cost me $400 to have built, but it is also reversible and came with everything to install it on the tranny. They had to build it out of NOS parts as they were no longer available for the earlier NV 4500. Pretty much any PTO winch will work with the right dimensions and rating for your vehicle. I prefer Koenigs, but Ramseys, Braden's,Pierce, etc. will all work quite well. You will have to measure and see what you have room for and make sure whatever winch you pick up can be configured to have the shaft on the correct side for your application. PTO winches have a lb. pull rating on them just like electric winches but instead of the motor being the weak spot the shear pin, key, or cable is usually the weak factor. Also realize that if your motor is dead, no winch. A PTO winch is a lot more difficult to operate by yourself. Upside is a PTO winch will out pull an electric any day and you don't have to upgrade your electrical system. There is also more maintenance to a PTO winch because of all the shafts and u-joints that have to be greased. I just do mine when I do my driveline u-joints, steering components, linkages, etc. About once a month to 2 months depending on how often I go out. Plan on the up front cost to being at least as much as an electric winch and usually are quite a bit more unless you get lucky and find good used stuff. I've found that most people need nothing more than a good quality electric. I'm involved in Search and Rescue and other Organizations where the PTO is more desirable for me. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement