AMC 360 freeze plugs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2001, 02:47 PM
Addict

CJBEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AMC 360 freeze plugs?

I need to get some freeze plugs for the amc 360 I am putting in my jeep...where would be a good place to order them from, and is there any special tool I need to put them in?...thanks again, Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2001, 04:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ozarkjeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AMC 360 freeze plugs?

I was just out looking at my 360 on its stand, and I noticed the plugs had DORMAN stamped on them.

Ive seen them in Northernautoparts catalogs I think

or I would think any NAPA or other decent store can get them.

shoulndt be much money probably under $30 I think Ive seen them in JC whiteny also.

Ive never R&R any, but I can envision it would take a seal puller or some sheetmetal screws, alot of prying, and a wooden dowel about the same size to reinstall, probably woundt hurt to clean the bores up really well also.

OzarkJeep

I love the U.S.A.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-03-2001, 05:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

Drill a hole in the old plug.
Screw a large screw into it, and yank it out. I use a slide hammer. Don't worry about being centered, you'll probably strip more than one hole out.

Clean the block surfaces as clean as you can get them.
Use a good sealer.
Use BRASS plugs if you can.

Brass expands and contracts closer to the rate of cast iron that steel does, and they seal better too.

There are pieces of hard plastic made to drive in core plugs with, or if you insist, buy a cheap 1/2" drive extension, and use a socket that fits snugly into the core plug.
A heavy wooden dowel rod works too.

Leave the sealer set up about 12 hours (I know what the directions say, but leave it anyway...) and you should be ready to fill the thing with water or anti-freeze mix...

So many cats, so few recipes...
Old 11-03-2001, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We have the brass ones in stock but you may try your local machine shop first. They're usually a few bucks a piece. You can remove them a couple of ways. 1 which TR said above and another is to use a punch and knock one side in basically turning it inside of the hole. You can istall them with the actual tool made for the job or just grab a socket that will just fit into the plug and tap it in after using permatex along the edges for a good seal.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

Old 11-04-2001, 12:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like telling rookies to turn them sideways...
They always hit them too close to center, and knock them into the water jackets.

So many cats, so few recipes...
Old 11-05-2001, 10:58 AM
Old Hand

jeepnmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

i just recently bought a set of steel ones for $2.35. i got them from National Automotive Lines (1-800-428-4300). they had a problem getting the part number right the first time and i got freeze plugs for a dodge 360. i think one of their catalogs were wrong. i always apply a light coating of Ultra Black RTV to the sealing flange of the freeze plug. it seems to help them go in easier and seal (in 4 engine rebuilds, i've had no leaks). hope this helps! if you need the part # for the freeze plugs, send me a private message. matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement