Is there a better cam for a 2.5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2001, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Is there a better cam for a 2.5

Anyone know? If so who makes it and where can you get it?

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2001, 08:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there a better cam for a 2.5

I'm sure one of the major manufacturers will have one. IMHO, you can pour money into a four popper to get more power but it will come in at a very high rpm. Not useable on the trail and marginally useable on the street. You want to scream it at 4 or 5 grand just to pull away from a stop sign normally? There is no replacement for cubic inches. Please don't let me put you down for wanting to do this, a Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep in my book. I just have seen people spend alot of money and get little return from a 4 banger. The trap with a 4 cylinder is: I'll put a bigger cam in it, It still isn't enough. Then someone says well with the bigger cam the engine needs to flow better, now you get a header, not enough. For the front end a new intake and too big carb, still not enough. It will keep going and going, not enough. Calculate how much money you would spend(forget blood sweat and tears) and compare this to swapping in a healthy six or eight, a baseline that will give you enough. In that calculation you might need to include the price of a used Jeep that has a 6 or 8 orginally to get past emission inspections. The final outcome then will satisfy. Good Luck.

Huh?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-01-2001, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This jeep is a second/third car. I am not wanting to make it a monster, just get a little more power, which a cam would priovide nicely. I am rebuilding an engine for it right now and now would be the best time for a cam.

I looked around a little and have found nothing so far. I have tried Crane and Comp Cams and a few online 4x4 shops but they only cater to 8's and some L6 (Comp has some for the 2.5 chrystler but not the AMC engine). Maybe down the road I will put the dual turbo v8 in but not right now.

Old 09-01-2001, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know what is really strange, The Jeep 4 cyl that was used in ALL YJ's are the same, Jeep put a GM 4 cyl in the YJ in 87, and they are the same innards as my 94.. all GM 2.5's.. if you look in the jeep/amc shop manual, it has all same specs for the AMC 4(2.5) cyl, and the GM (2.5). the fuel is just setup different... I compared a cam from a 92 to a 87 s10 2.5 cam, and they were the same.

Hope this helps.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
Old 09-01-2001, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea that does help. I'll check up on it. I understand that one can also get cams at clifford and also from chrysler.

Old 09-01-2001, 11:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

I think both those sources should have cams. I think to get the power I would just try a k&N open element type air filter, a tb spacer or hi-flow tb and headers/free flowing cat/cat back instead of messing with the interal engine componets, if you give your engine a cam it's going to want more fuel, kinda like if you give a mouse a cookie, or if you go with the cam I would try adding those mods for maximum potential. I would get a cam that suits your wheeling needs. What kind of wheeling do you do? Unless you are always in the mud winding your engine up most cams won't do much but a low range cam will help mostly for slow crawling and a mid range cam would probably help the most daily driving.

Barrelroll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Old 09-02-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am wondering if a cam will cause trouble with the TBI unit.

These are the cams that Mopar has for the 2.5
#P4529656 240/240 .430/.430
#P4529657 248/248 .440/.440
#P4529658 256/256 .450/.450

Clifford has a slightly larger selection but their prices are higher than they need to be. Here is a list of what they have.
#97-3011-EFI 254/? .435
#97-3021-EFI 264/? .474
#97-3041-EFI 272/? .478
#97-3081-EFI 280/? .498
#97-3011-EFI 290/? .510 I assume that I/E is the same

I am looking for a low level cam that will be good for driving around town, freeway and occasional off road use. So I am thinking of the Mopar P4529656.

I found this site if people want to see prices on Mopar http://www.jeepconnection.com/parts/index.html

I don't think I will be going with headers or anything else for a bit. Maybe a higher flow air filter homemade style. I keep hearing about this 4.0 TB but is this a MPI deal and is N/A on a TBI? Over all I was ok with the power before the engine grenaded, but it could always be better that is why I am thinking of a cam. So spending tons of money to make the jeep faster right now is not a priority.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement