Dual T-cases, advantages vs disadvantages? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2001, 06:45 AM
Old Hand

v8jeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual T-cases, advantages vs disadvantages?

A friend of mine and I just picked up an '85 toyota pickup, all kinds of goodies is what the guy told my buddy over the phone. We got there and it had, ARB's front and rear in 4.88's, 4" lift, rino lined frame, engine pre-lube system, and then a newly rebuilt and painted 4.3L V6 with edlebrock this and that (though it was sitting on a stand off to the side). We looked up under the truck and there were TWO transfercases, the front one was just the main center body and the second one had the front and rear output cases on it. It appeared to only make the entire drivetrain about 10" longer (width of t-case body and adapter). The original owner mentioned a 1:8 crawl ratio. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this dual t-case setup?
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2001, 07:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Dual T-cases, advantages vs disadvantages?

http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Jeep.html

Look in tech section, see tranfer case tranny swap story for an example.

There are 2 primary advantages to dual transfer cases:

1) Extremely low gearing (mine is 160:1)

2) Flexibility in crawl ratio choices. In addition to 160:1, I have 60:1, and 80:1. With this I can select the ultimate crawl ratio for the type of terrain I am running. For instance, on easy trails I use the highest crawl ratio I have, 60:1, whereas with most rock trails I use 80;1 and then pop it into 160:1 on the really hard stuff. With most extreme single transfer case setups, such as 4:1 kits with low gearing (like 5.38 gears), you only have hi range and extreme low range, there's nothing in between.

The disadvantages are the extra drivetrain length it requires, as well as more complication therefore potentially more to go wrong.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 203 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA cross over 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2001, 07:53 AM
Veteran

Alfred is an unknown quantity at this point

you are prolly looking at a marlin-crawler (do a search on the web) ...

he is the guru of the toyota world...

as chad has put it... its about versatility...,

especially if you have 2 transfers w/ different ratios... (the original one is 2,3:1 the 2nd one in my case is 2,46:1)

this allows you to choose your reduction (or multiply both for killer crawl ratio)

the main advantage of putting an "old" transfer like the spicer18 in a new driveline, you get the benefits of a twinstick... e.g. 2wd low ... nice goody if you run a front locker

alfred

ps: initially, we planned to do a dual transmission setup w/ a SM420 as 2nd tranny... go figure your options.... if you let it in 4th gear (1:1) it will "disappear" ... but anything lower than that... and you start crawling like a baby (esp. in granny 1st 7:1) .... but here you need to do more fabbing work and need a loooooooooong jeep ;oP

Old 08-27-2001, 12:15 PM
Old Hand

v8jeep is an unknown quantity at this point

How in the heck do you have 160:1 crawl??
Figure each t-case is 3, tranny first gear is 4, rear end is 4ish...
ummm oops, I just did the math, just my numbers calculate up to 144:1, wow! Those number add up quick, guess I just answered my question. Thanks for the input on dual t-cases, I will get some pics up when we get up under her. thanks,
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Old 08-27-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just for clarification:

1st gear 6.69:1
203 2:1
bronco dana 20 2.46:1
axle 4.88:1

= 160.624:1

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 203 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA cross over 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement