Making a Roller Fairlead - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2001, 01:33 PM
mindbender

Default Making a Roller Fairlead

Just wondering if any of you have made a roller fairlead, if so what and how? Thanks,

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 40 head ported polished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Jacobs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 31" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 999 insulated hard top
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2001, 03:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making a Roller Fairlead

Well, I guess you could make one out of angle iron, or plate, grade 8 bolts or shafting, and some kind of steel roller, maybe some bushings.... There's not much to a roller fairlead.

But, really, it's probably not worth it. I think you can buy a roller fairlead from any of the major winch companies, and they're really not that much.

If it were me, I would spend your fabrication talents and time on something like a rear tire carrier, where you can save the big $$$$$$.
Just my opinion,
Good luck
Pete

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2001, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMHO, I aggree with Pete. The roller fairleads are not that expensive and would take too much time to home fab. I have learned the hard way that sometimes it is more cost/time effective to buy something than build it. Now, having said that, I also agree about the tire carrier. There have been some great posts on this BBS with plans for tire carriers and you/we/me could save alot of money by building our own.

William
1980 CJ7 258 Holley EFI / Mallory Unilite/ Dana 44F ARB / AMC20 1-piece Detroit / T-98A tranny / D300 / Ramsey RE10,000lb / ARB Snorkel
Old 08-15-2001, 09:55 PM
Pooh-Bah

Brownbagg is an unknown quantity at this point

rolled fairlead not much. Try $110, I guess that not much to some people but that a day and half pay for me. thats without the tax.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Old 08-16-2001, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast

m715 is an unknown quantity at this point

$29.99 harbor freight, haven't used one myself yet...

Luke
http://www.cj7jeep.com
Old 08-16-2001, 06:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn, how big is that thing? The one I have on my ramsey was only 40 bucks or so.....THat was a good 4 years ago though..

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Old 08-16-2001, 07:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

pontiac58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my dad made mine. Now it not the normal looking failaid. But it works. It took us about two hours with each of us running the lathe and the bridgeport. If you dont have acess to a lathe you would have to find the round stock with a hole in the middle. All you need is a piece of c-channel and box the ends off. Either get some long bolts or a piece of all thread and it could work.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:09 PM
mindbender

Appreciate the replies: I have already made the bumpers, tire carriers, but was going to try the fairlead. However the harbor frieght fairlead even at 29.00 is hard to beat - just ordered one. It is a 13" x 5.5" x 3.25" and is for an 8000 lb winch. Seems like a good match for the Ramsey. Of course if it is made of cardboard, then its a waste of money. Hard to beat the price of those mig tips and welding wire from harbor also. Thanks, WES

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 40 head ported polished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Jacobs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 31" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 999 insulated hard top
Old 08-16-2001, 07:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

Brownbagg is an unknown quantity at this point

The one for the warn winch at a local "We screw you off road store" is a $110. we also have a harbor freight store in town I go look there tomorrow

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Old 08-16-2001, 08:17 PM
Pooh-Bah

JoeyCJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha we have one of those in town brownbagg.Its Sam's Offroad(the guy who won the top truck challenge last year)
They want to install everything,and they want a bunch of money for their stuff.
I had my dad go to Sam's for a rear wheel bearing and the seals.
Well he spent fricking 70.00
I went to Harmons to get the same bearing for the other side,and I only ended up spending like 20.00 with seals

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement