How do i jump the starter solenoid?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2001, 06:24 PM
Addict

timCsjeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do i jump the starter solenoid??

Here is a pick of a solenoid. I had to jump mine to get my jeep started when i bought it but i forgot which points you "cross".

BTW do i need to have the key in the on position to get it to run? And will this work on a 4.0L?

My jeep has lost 75 pounds on the new diet,... the rust elimination diet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 9-511968-I3303.bmp (83.8 KB, 1 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: How do i jump the starter solenoid??

That looks a lot like a Ford solenoid (also an Onan generator solenoid). I jumpered between the two posts on the left (larger post to smaller post). I believe you will need the key in the 'on' position to keep the engine running.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Hope this works for you... Bret

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2001, 12:39 AM
Addict

actually it is a pic from JC Whitney, 55-83 universal GM solenoid. But it looks a lot like the one on my jeep.

I remeber i took a jumper cable to one of the "big" screws and crossed one of the smaller screws. Any help is apreciated. Thanks- Tim

My jeep has lost 75 pounds on the new diet,... the rust elimination diet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2001, 01:47 PM
Old Hand

sloop is an unknown quantity at this point

The big post on the LEFT in the picture (which is the RIGHT if it is mounted on the fender) to the small post also on the LEFT in the picture. That is assuming your + cable from the battery comes to that large post (i've seen them wired up backwards)

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
Old 08-14-2001, 02:37 PM
ibscrmbln

I have jumped my 4.0 solenoid and it looks somewhat different than your picture. I jump from the small terminal on the extreme bottom of the solenoid to the pole that is connected to the positive post of the battery. The ignition does have to be on.

I have a problem with the adjustment in my AW4 shift linkage causing me to do this occasionally so I have the connections well memorized.

Later, Ken

83 CJ8, 4.0 HO/AW4, 2.5 Superlift, 1" Daystar body, 33x12.50 GY MTs, 4.10, Lockers f&r, ob air, Custom bumpers, rockers, and skid plate, etc.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:59 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Truthfully, it's pretty easy.

Take a small jumper wire from the battery cable side of the Large lug and touch it to either of the top posts... One will work, the other will not (If I remember right)... and if you do it wrong it dosen't hurt anything.

All you're doing is providing 12 volts to the relay that engages the 12 volts from the battery to the starter motor. Remember, the case is grounded (or should be) and provides a return path for the current through the solenoid engage realy.

Old 08-14-2001, 08:38 PM
Addict

thanks i knew it wasnt so hard.- Tim

Old 08-15-2001, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you connect the 2 large terminals together it will turn over but not fire. If you connect the small terminal labeled "s" to the large terminal going to the battery it will also turn but not fire unless you have the key in the "run" position or either have a jumper wire from the positive + battery terminal to the positive + side of the ignition coil, then it would crank without the key.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.