Where to buy Xylene? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2001, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Where to buy Xylene?

I'm going to tackle the Herculing project this weekend. I've read all the posts pertaining to the subject, and think I've got it all.

But where do I buy Xylene?

I'll be heading to Sam's to get the Herc. I'll then strip the Jeep, and start ripping out the carpet. The bozo before me glued it down, so as you rip the carpet up, the backing will come up but the actual carpet threads stay glued down in places. This will not be fun.

I have at my disposal my new 4.5" grinder and 1/2" hammer drill. Will these tools be appropriate? What attachments should I use?

Otherwise, I'll be sanding everything down, and doing the interior and whatever else I come up with with at least two coats. I plan to get some form of UV stuff from Home Depot - think they'll have any in a rattle can?

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2001, 04:36 PM
Old Hand

jeepnmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to buy Xylene?

you can get xylene at almost any hardware or paint store. i don't think you'll need the hammer drill, unless you have concrete somewhere in the jeep (may be a new idea for frame repairs...). but the grinder may come in handy! look for a wire wheel and grinding wheel. try them on the glue you need to remove, it may make fast work of it! hope this helps! matt

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-2001, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...
jamgood96 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem finding Xylene when I did my interior. Everyone on the board said that any hardware store should have it. Not so! I could not find it for the life of me. I ended up using Acetone. And you know what. About a month ago a Lowe's hardware store opened up and I checked it out. Yep! They had Xylene! ARGH! So if you've got a Lowe's nearby, check them out.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]"James and the <font color=green>ALMOST</font color=green> Giant Jeep"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2001, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The xylene will take the glue off as well as the paint if you leave on too long. I had the same problem with carpet glue, I started to buff it off with my 4" wire wheel and went with the xylene instead. Its much faster!

Jeeplvr
http://www.trailhed.com
Old 07-27-2001, 06:05 PM
sas87yj

i found xylene at ace hardware. ace is the place! HA
i bet acetone would work ok although i remember the herculiner can said use xylene to thin or as a cleaner of surface before using. just get in there and get that carpet cr@p off with the elbow grease, clean it all up good and put coats on till the gallon is empty!

Old 07-27-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got mine at Home Depot when I Herc'd an old CJ tub a couple of years ago.

By the way, get one of the cheap paint mixers that attach to a drill. It mixed up all the chunks in the paint very nicely.

Greg J.

Old 07-27-2001, 06:32 PM
Weakenedmchnix

Home depot is right. I bought TSB for the carpet glue. Goof-off also works. Buy some of those cheap sponge brushes for the hard-to-get-at places. Don't lay it on too thick on the seams.

Paulee

'94 YJ Pro-Comp Coil-over kit. 33's
....and a cranky T-case.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:04 PM
Old Hand

Jeeplvr is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to use xylene for Herculiner or Durabak and probably others. If you dont, it wont cure properly.
Read the instructions.

Jeeplvr
"Damn Money Pit"
http:// www.trailhed.com

Old 07-28-2001, 12:14 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

Sherwin Williams is where I got my Xylene.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm... Jim, Where is that "hasn't been cleared to post yet" stuff?

Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement