How to change pulley on alternator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2001, 09:23 AM
Veteran

kutyafal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to change pulley on alternator?

In preparation of the onboard welder install I'd like to know how do you change the serpentine pulley to a v-belt pulley on the alternator? I've seen several 90A to 130A alternators from different cars and they all come with a serpentine belt pulley that I need to swap out to a v-belt pulley. I'll run in off my stock alternator to which I also need to install a serp./v combo pulley. Where can you get v-belt pulleys? Are they brand specific in size? Most bigger alternators I found are out of fords: Taurus, Crown Vic, Lincoln Town Car, etc. but they only have one mounting ear on each side. The Chrysler ones have two on one side just like the stock Wrangler alternator but are only 90A. I think the Chrysler ones would be easier to mount though. Anybody has done this have some info?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2001, 01:57 PM
Addict

jimmythetech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to change pulley on alternator?

Instead of converting to a different brand altenator, why not give a call to a shop that rebiulds them and see about getting it rewound to put out more juice?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-2001, 03:41 PM
Veteran

I need the second one for an onboard welder and I want it separate from the stock circuit. I don't want to mess with electric stuff much. I easier build a bracket for a second one than try to figure out how to disconnect the regulator from the stock alternator and protect all the other circuits while using it to weld. I don't want to fry anything. As I'm sure you know repairing an electric problem can be one big headache. Plus I'll also build a portable welder where I use the same alternator on a board driven by an electric motor.

Old 05-14-2001, 07:29 PM
Addict

Using an electic motor to turn an altanator to produce electricity? Aren't we talking prepetual motion here? Stick with running it off of the gas job. It would probably take more juice to run the electric motor than the altanator would put out. Once you put a load on the altanator(striking an arc) you would probably stall the electric motor.

By the way...any alranator shop can probably find the correct pulley for you. Just look in the phone book under autoparts, remanufactured.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

mopar4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have to build brackets anyway, take a look at a Leece-Neville? from an old Dodge/Plymouth police car. They were around 100 amps out of the box and heavy duty. They have an external regulator. I don't know much about the on board welder but it sounds like you will need lots of juice. I'm guessing the regulator will have to be changed to make a welder. An external one would be easy to service and install and probably cheaper than an internal conversion. Would also be easy to convert back to 12v if the main alt craps out on the trail. Just wire in a mopar external one and plug in the two wires if you need it.
CJeep

Old 05-14-2001, 08:02 PM
Addict

You wanna talk leece-neville? I got a 180 amper on the shelf at work from an international school bus. If that dont melt some welding rods, I dont know what will. The only problem is it's just a tiny bit BIG. Maybe I'll hold it until I can afford to build a tow rig(can anyone say mid 80s Grand Waggy with a ford 7.3 diesel???).

Old 05-14-2001, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Well, don't get too confused. If I'm not mistaken nobody's started welding just by sticking two pieces of wire in the outlet and go at it. Of course once I find a suitable mover motor (or mine dies) I use that for power. But I digress. My original question really was how to remove old pulley from the alternator.

Old 05-14-2001, 08:33 PM
Addict

Impact gun! don't even try to hold the shaft with an allen key and turn the socket with a wrench. Put on a pair of good leather work gloves, wrap a shop rag around the pulley, hold the pulley with one hand and gun the nut with the other. If that doesn't work get a more powerfull gun. The impacts should break the nut loose before the pulley spins. to install just reverse the process.

Old 05-14-2001, 09:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IN2DEEP is an unknown quantity at this point

One day I was hanging out at my brother's shop, when a mechanic co-worker had this exact problem. My brother just put the altenator onto the floor, and held it in place with his foot on the fan/pulley. He put the ol' impact gun to it and ..... zip!!! off comes the pulley. But like Jimmy said, don't even try to hold it!! It takes some real power to get those nuts off!!!

Gotta love the simple answers......

GOOD LUCK!!

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Old 05-14-2001, 09:10 PM
Veteran

See now that puts things in order. First I have to finish my onboard air so I can fix my onboard welder! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Now there is order in my life. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And I was going to take the thing apart and put the rotor in a wise...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement