quadratrac - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2001, 06:59 PM
Addict

trailisman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quadratrac

What's the deal with Quadratrac anyway???

Seems that people like to bag on the Quadratrac system.
I know 2 guys who run it on their V8 CJ-7s and beat snot out of them on the trail. They haven't had any problems related to the Quadratrac system.
The guy at the local 4x4 shop says "...why swap something in that didn't work right in the first place?" ..he wouldn't go into detail, just said "You don't want it." He is usually right when Jeep is the subject, but I still wonder - Why?

I understand it is a fulltime 4x4 system which kills fuel economy and that the earlier versions used cones in the center differential which weren't very smooth. ...And it requires the AMC 20 rear axle which people also love to hate (I guess some *did* have offset 1pc D44s).
sure the t/c is aluminum cased and chain drive, but so is the NP231 in YJ/TJ...

why does Quadratrac get such a bad rap? I'm not taking about Helldorado or the Rubicon. That kind of use is extreme. I'm talking about a Great Lakes area Jeep on something like 32s that runs around town sometimes and runs around on mild trails (the kind where 4wd is needed most of the time not constantly plus a winch) with mud, rocks, trees, sand & gravel sometimes.

Whaddaya think?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2001, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: quadratrac

The biggest problem I have with it is if you don't have the optional low range it pretty much makes it about as useless as a Subaru.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2001, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do I think??....I think you pretty much described my jeep and the way I use it..I run a stock 258 with a moderate lift..have the winch, for those times when nothing else will do, and narrow track swampers. The Quadratrac I use has the reduction unit and is coupled to a TH400. I've been driving a Quadratrac ever since I bought my first one fresh off the lot in 1979. I've heard people slam them from time to time, but it doesn't matter. The Quadratrac does its job and as far as I'm concerned does it well. That being said; I agree with Brad, the reduction unit makes the difference, I wouldn't want a Quadratrac without it.

DrummondCJ
Old 04-27-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have already put in a centered rear diff for the swap of my QTrac to a d300 & tf727. I bled the brakes on the newly installed centered diff. rear and then drove around for an hour with the front pulling just fine. No driveshaft to the rear. For whatever reason I just HAD to have something other than the th400 & QTrac. - Got a great used one if you need another..

Old 04-28-2001, 05:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got the quadratrac with the low range unit and I've never regreted it at all. My Jeep has been in the family since 1979 so I know the history of it and there has never been a problem with the transfer case. I suppose I should replace the chain some day and the lubricant for it is a little pricey, but other then that it has been a great unit.

Old 04-28-2001, 07:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] A few years ago when we went looking for a base platform on which to build the ultimate SNOJEEP, we basically had two choices: A new[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] TJ and swap in the NV242 transfer case, or we could go way back to a '76-'79 CJ-7 with the Quadra-Trac system.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] For snow driving; especially up here in the steep country; you want all wheels driving equally, and all wheels slowing equally on decelleration;[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] AND.....and this is the biggie......each wheel needs to go a different speed if needed. So that means an open-center differential in the transfer case, like our ZJ with the NV242 has. The big drawback to QTs is the cone clutch setup. Because of those cones, the QT's are stubborn about going into lockup when you need it; and because of the cones, tire size and tire matching is critical; and because of those cones, you must use a special fluid. So........we disabled the cones in a simple machining operation, and the result was a transfer case which works WITH YOU, not AGAINST YOU. We also moved the vacuum switch to a convenient place on the dash; instead of having it buried in the back of the glove box; and we devised a tricky indicator lamp system which shows Jeepchick which mode the case is in. Green=Open, Yellow=In the process of shifting, Red=Locked. Jeepchick can flip the vacuum switch and do lazy figure eights until the yellow lamp goes out and red appears. A great many......like almost all of them... QTs that I have inspected show the effects of incomplete shifting. The collar never made it all the way to lockup, and then the case will POP out of lock when power is heavily applied, and the cussing begins. Keeping the chain fresh seems to be an important theme to prevent the destruction of the case from a broken chain wadding up under the driven sprocket and grenading the case. THE TRUTH IS......a QT has the highest shaft-to-shaft efficiency of all the early cases if you are in direct drive. HOWEVER, the cones and the tire mismatch that is usually present on QT Jeeps shoots down any previously gained efficiency. People often mistake the low efficiency of the TH400 tranny for what they think is QT-caused low efficiency.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The truth is, that together, the TH400/QT combination DOES suck up fuel, but it doesn't have to be that way, if you disable those cones. Our SNOJEEP doesn't have the low range, simply because we didn't happen to need one. The TH400 is beefy enough to pull at low enough speeds for snow work, and we really don't do any rock climbing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The low range units just add to the slack in the drive system so since we really didn't need one, we didn't install one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My crack moonguy Quadra-Trac team is on standby,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and ready to leave at a moments notice. They can modify your case in the supermarket parking lot while you go in for a suitcase of Bud light.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2001, 11:09 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

I really like the quadratrac as well. On the street I drive around with the transfer case locked and the hubs unlocked. Off road I have can drive with the transfer case and hubs locked like everyone else. What I think is an advantage is I can also unlock the transfer case and have all four wheels being driven but let the front and rear turn the different speeds they need to. This beats either unlocking a hub or shifting the transfer case into rear wheel drive only to turn corners with the dual lockers in the axles. It also still works surprisingly well in the snow. I was driving around with the hubs locked and the transfer case unlocked and it worked just fine.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Old 04-29-2001, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I'm willing to bet that most of the QT bashing is from people who just want to brag on there all gear case. I have a QT that I rebuilt and put a Part time conversion kit in, verry pricy. Then I put one piece axles, new gears, posi unit and disc breaks on the 20. In all a verry expensive bunch of mods, about 3000. If you think about it, that is a rediculas propisition when you consider the price of a rebuilt dana 300 and a shortened dana 60 rear out of an old pick up truck with lockers and disc breaks allready on it. about 1000. O well expensive lesson! Once decided on the QT your limited I belive on what you can bolt up to it transmission wise, if you stick with the turbo 400 (great xmsn)you cant put an overdrive in it. I guess it all depends on your outlook if you have a QT that is working and dont plan on upgrading the QT and the rear and it will fit your needs than keep it. I have a 78 CJ7 ground up restored AMC 360 turbo 400 QT and AMC 20 Rear. Ive put about $18,000.00 in and would definatly do it different. Chevy 350 torqueflight 727 dana 300 dana 60 rear at half the price stronger and plenty of parts availability no upgrades required. Whats realy bad is a guy told me all this 4 years ago. I guess the smart thing to do is to consider JEEP FEVER you will always want bigger stronger stompier stuff and the QT in my opinion limits your options and pinches your wallet. jim.

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
Old 04-29-2001, 01:49 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

I got around the AMC20 with the quadratrac by using a wagoneer dana 44 that also had the quadratrac. That with a widetrac dana 30 seems to be ok for me. If I were to build another jeep the only thing I would do different is instead of putting in the widetrac dana 30, I would have put in the dana 44 front from the same wagoneer. We'll see how long this front end lasts as is.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Old 04-29-2001, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will,
How did that mod go.. did you encounter anything unusal when you put in the waggie rear end?....I just bought a Quadratrac wagoneer and intend on doing the same thing as you have,,,well, I'll use both the front and rear out of the waggie. I've been wanting to do so for awhile now, I was simply waiting till the fellow who had it dropped his price to something I thought was reasonable...Now that he has, .I figured I couldn't go very wrong by only paying $25.00 for sound running wagoneer. Anyway,,,,,whatever insite you can pass along would be well received.

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement