Sidewinder winch?? What the deal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2001, 08:12 AM
Veteran

Mel85CJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sidewinder winch?? What the deal?

Anybody know anything about sidewinder winches? I saw an ad for a 9,000 lb for sale for pretty cheap.
Any input?
-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2001, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Sidewinder winch?? What the deal?

I have one, and from what I heard they dont make em anymore!! That makes it really hard to get parts for!! Mine is sitting in pieces in the barn and has been for many years!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2001, 10:12 AM
Can't Get Enough

jfralph is an unknown quantity at this point

In the 70's they were pretty well regarded. They sold well to full size trucks, they could tuck them up inside the frame rails and other than the fairlead, nothing was showing. A few friends had them and they worked very well. Like Leader said, they are out of business, parts may be dificult to get.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
Old 04-26-2001, 10:17 AM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine has one. A 12000lb one and let me tell you...IT IS HUGE! He runs it on a fullsize chevy.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
rythem@gte.net
"Get your finger outta there"
Old 04-26-2001, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can get a hold of the 4-Wheel-Parts-Wholesellers Offroad Adventures it has a nice complete article on Winches. Old, odd, new...it had them all. Take a look, if you can.

That is supposed to be a pretty neat winch. It was last made by Advanced Adapters. But they didn't sell well, probably because of the AA price. It is a compact winch. Perfect for locating between the tub and gas tank in the rear after a body lift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
Old 04-26-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really Dirt Dog? I was always told they were only made in one duty rating. And they were compact. Maybe I am just thinking of something else.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
Old 04-27-2001, 03:00 PM
Addict

badvibrations is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the gist of the info in the April/May 4WP mag.

First put out by Vic Hickey in 1971. Features a drum that operates 90 degrees from the normal horizontal position (normal=cable spools in a vertical attitude, Sidewinder spools horizontally) 8000lb rated originally. Was upgraded after @ a year to 9000lb, adding 3/8" cable upgraded it to 10,000lb. By 1986 AA purchased the company and sold it in 1988. AA produced a compact version rated at 7500lbs. The company totally went belly up in the late '80s.

I'd post the article but I am scanner deficient. Anyone wishing to correct this terrible injustice can send cash or computer equipment ASAP.

Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement