Power steering fluid in the brake system!?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2001, 09:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jps4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power steering fluid in the brake system!?!

I was doing a brake job on the car today when I noticed the little rubber thing under the brake fluid cap seemed to really be swollen. When I told honey about it she informed me that her "helpful" son had put some power steering fluid into the brake system. What harm will this do? How can it be cleaned out? Do I need to worry about the rubber hoses on the brakes? The car still stops ok but now I'm worried. Thanks for any info.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2001, 10:20 PM
Veteran

W.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Power steering fluid in the brake system!?!

All the rubber seals are history and need replacing(MC and slaves). Not sure about the rubber lines but I'd replace them too, just in case.Need to flush everything a few times, after you remove the old seals and before you put in the new ones. Its a good thing you where able to catch it before someone got hurt.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2001, 10:25 PM
Veteran

W.C. is an unknown quantity at this point

Good time for stainless steel lines.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Old 04-21-2001, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Before you replace anything run a BUNCH of clean brake fluid thru the system, then like the previous post said, replace EVERYTHING rubber, including the hoses, then run more clean brake fluid thru, then bleed it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Old 04-22-2001, 12:18 AM

Well crap. Ok, MC, slaves, rubber hose to each wheel. What else? I don't want to miss anything. BTW, honey's car is a 94 Dodge Intrepid. Thanks guys, you may have saved some lives!

Old 04-22-2001, 12:42 AM

ExtinctJeep is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yeah, and smack the kid around a little for it...better yet...make him pay for it all!

FRITZ

Jeep...need I say more?
Old 04-22-2001, 10:13 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jaffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you can get seal kits for most calipers in addition to drum style slaves. You might probably need to swap the master out ...
Your porporting valve (if you have one) will undoubtedly need a re-man also as it they have several rubber seals in it too ...
My buddy Van will do this at usually a cost of $ 75 ... certainly at less cost (by 1/2) than a replacement ..

Vanco Power Brake Supply
9738 Atlantic Avenue South Gate, CA 90280
(323) 563 1588 VANCOPBS@aol.com

I suggest you run a bunch of alcohol through the lines and THEN flush it with new brake fluid. Rinse out all the slave cylinders with it too and replace ALL rubber seals ...
The alcohol should give you a head start in getting everything out as it will do a better job to dilute and flush the fluid/s.
Van or his bro will give you professional advice on how to proceed and I defer to anything he sez ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Old 04-22-2001, 10:31 AM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with all the posts about changing every thing out.

But as to slapping the kid around for doing that I think that getting him out there and working with you, training him will be a greater acheivement.
GP'n

Old 04-22-2001, 10:36 AM
Can't Get Enough

dorfs is an unknown quantity at this point

How long ago did he do it? If he just put it in, the fluid probably didn't go past the master cylinder, and just the master can be changed. But if it has been in there for a while, everything must be changed. I hope that it didn't have ABS.

Old 04-22-2001, 12:03 PM

I think it has been there for about 3 weeks or so. I'm thinking (hoping) it has not made it through the whole system. Very little power steering fluid was put into the system. This is what I'm thinking of doing: Rebuild or replace the MC (cost is almost the same to replace), unhook the brake line before the porporting valve (not sure it has one yet) and cleaning the system from there back to the MC. If it does not have a porporting valve, disconnect the brake line where it runs into the rubber lines. What do you guys think, am I grasping at straws? Thanks a heap for all your great advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement