Keeping engine compartment clean - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2000, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Keeping engine compartment clean

Getting ready to drop my 360 into my CJ soon, and it looks so good sitting on the engine stand.... I would love to be able to keep it clean, but every time I go muddin, the engine turns out to be mud brown afterward, and I can never get it as clean as it started out to be. I was wondering if anyone has some neat ideas to keep the engine compartment free from mud when wheeling in the midwest mud here in michigan. If you have any ideas that have worked, let me know. Maybe this engine will stay clean longer than the first 4x4 trip.
Jesse

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2000, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Keeping engine compartment clean

Ooof.. you need a pressure washer and a case of varnish remover..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2000, 08:59 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

i took a different approach. i painted my engine cummins tan. even when it's dirty, it looks clean.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D
Old 04-07-2000, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HAH!! Great idea Will!! Paint it black even!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..
Old 04-07-2000, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jesse:
A buddy of mine used truck mud flaps to help keep the compartment and engine clean. He cut them to fit and screwed them to the inner fender skirt and to the frame...kinda like those body lift lips you see advertised. Cut down on a lot of mud that you get in that space between the fender and frame, but still doent help when your in that really deep sloshy, sloppy sh*t.
Shain
Shain

Old 04-07-2000, 12:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sycho15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard of (and seen once in a magazine) people stretching tarps fender to fender and under the engine. I think a PVC pipe frame could be used to keep the tarp from directly contacting the engine, and bungee cords would keep it tight. Wouldn't be worth a damn where I wheel though, as it would fill with water when I go in the river and fill with mud when I go into bumper-deep mud.

Old 04-07-2000, 10:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

H8monday is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an F250 with a Supercharged 460 that I Mud bogg race. I try to keep it as clean as I can. The favorite way I have found is to cut out card board and use duct tape to hold it in place covering as many of the openings as possible. Ive got it down to a science now. It takes about an hour to do it right, and its only good for one outing, but it beats the mud baked alternative.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement