welding TJ axle brackets on a ford 8.8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2001, 06:54 PM
Veteran

3/4tonYJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default welding TJ axle brackets on a ford 8.8

just finished swaping a for 8.8 into a TJ and thought i'd share.
this is the brackets welded on one side of the 8.8 tube

was alot of welding, but came out pretty good, here's a completed pic..

fyi, this is good TJ swap, same width, bolt pattern, gear ratio as dana 35c removed. also came with disc brakes [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2001, 07:47 PM
Old Hand

v8jeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: welding TJ axle brackets on a ford 8.8

ooooooooo, ahhhhhhhhh, friggin' sweet! Just give me a little bit longer and I'll be there. I'm bringing my bent junk back to the yard tomorrow, found another one at a yard 30 min away for $250 so I called 'em up and will pick it up when I get the cash from my bent junk back.

Man, those TJ's have a lot of brackets. When you welded them on did you weld just a little at a time or did you zap it all back to back? Just wondering as far as heating up / weakening the axle goes?

Did you weld your coil plates on the axle before you held the axle up in the jeep? Did you angle them to point your yoke up?

According to some rough measurements, it looks like I have to move the 8.8 perches each out 1/4". I am wondering if it is worth grinding off the perches to only move them 1/4". I considered welding a 3/16 inch or so plate to the bottoms of the perches and drilling a hole in it that's 1/4" outside of the 8.8" hole. (this hole is for the head of the springs center bolt btw, incase I am doing a bad job presenting this).

Do you have your ebrakes hooked up yet, just wondering how you mated the stock cables to the 8.8 stuff? any pic?

Did you re-plumb the brakes on the 8.8 or were the lines on it in good shape?

nice job, must be nice having access to the lift in the pic!
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2001, 08:06 PM
Veteran

damn, i just lost a big post,
so when i weld on tubes i usually weld 1" them switch tube sides, then go to the other side of the bracket, an so on. never had a problem, i don't really cook it very deep either. (knock on wood)
anyway, i welded the coil spring pearches in the same place, this TJ has adjustable control arms to get the pinion were ya want,
i'd cut the pearched off if i were you and re-weld them. i sometimes just bolt them in place, leaving the u-bolts slightly loose. then get pinion angle wanted and tack the pearches in place, remove u-bolts and weld good.
this is a picture of the brackets i make to hook the factory TJ e-brack cables to the disc brakes on the 8.8 (i also welded the inplace)

Old 04-10-2001, 09:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

jeeperjohn is on a distinguished road

Hey Gregg, you're getting pretty good with that welding stuff. Looks a lot better than my gorilla welds.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
Old 04-10-2001, 09:56 PM
Veteran

hey john,
i am getting better, kind of scary

ya know, denny (he's now working a whiting field again) has a drum brake 8.8 he picked up at johnny's or butlers he don't want anymore and is selling. i told him if he still has it to bring it to the TN roundup memorial day and i'll give him the $90 he paid for it. they are a sweet swap into wranglers....

Old 04-10-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is some very impressive welding!!!!Looks great. I will be at the round-up memorial day. I would like to check out(a.k.a steal that axle.On second thought...that would be too much grinding to fit the CJ,Ill let you keep it.) Anyway, looks great. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,Tomkin tire combo,etc,etc.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:19 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

Great looking job!!!!!!! And once again, nice pics.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
rythem@gte.net
"Get your finger out of there"
Old 04-11-2001, 03:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

jeeperjohn is on a distinguished road
Default Re:8.8 GREGG

Not if I "liberate" it from him first. Funny you should mention it, I've been thinking of getting it. By the way, what is the outer diameter of a CJ dana 30 axle tube?

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement