Brakes are pulling to the left ?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2001, 12:59 PM
Veteran

kutyafal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brakes are pulling to the left ?!?

'91 YJ, power brakes, front disk, drum rear. Brakes are pretty good but are pulling to the left if I take my hands off the wheel. Truck drives straight otherwise. I have dual Lock-Rights. I know how to adjust the rear brakes but how to check that they have equal settings? Also if it's the front brakes that are uneven how to tell and what to do about it? All brake pads and calipers have plenty of life left on them and there are no vibrations. I have braided stainless steel lines all around.
Thanks.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2001, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Brakes are pulling to the left ?!?

Rear brakes likely won't cause you to "pull" to one side to the other, and disc brakes will always apply even pressure, provided all components are in good order. I'd start by checking for air in the brake lines, and sticking caliper pistons. These things are easily disassembled, checked, and cleaned.

If it's been a while since your brake system was flushed, I'd recommend doing that as well.

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-2001, 04:07 PM
Veteran

Thanks. That's what I thought too about disk brakes. So how would I diagnose a sticking caliper? When I installed the SS lines I bled the lines the best I could. I'm not loosing any brake fluid and don't have any leaks (visible that is). I guess I'll bleed the lines again and check the calipers for sticking (once I know how).

Old 04-09-2001, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
One thing you should really check for is a blown wheel bearing seal. Grease on the disk may not be easy to see, but you could check the pads and see if they look the same on both sides. You can also have plugged lines, so I would give the brakes a good bleed and see if it helps. Rear brakes can actually pull you one way or the other on a swb rig. One thing you could do is make a hard stop on gravel and figure out which brake is locking first. The one that locks last is the culprit. To check for a sticky caliper have someone step on the brakes and watch to see if both sides move the same way.
I hope you find it.
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Old 04-09-2001, 04:23 PM
jeepfiend

Are you vacuum bleeding or doing the old pump and squirt? If you vacuum bleed, it will allow you to easily bleed the brakes yourself, and replace fluid at the same time. To check for a sticky caliper I would put the front on stands, and apply the brakes and release. If you have a wheel that won't turn free, you could have a sticky caliper. It sounds to me like you just need to bleed the brakes again and go from there. Have you recently rotated tires so that you might have a slightly different height tires from one side to the other. Are the tires at the same air pressure? If the length from the center of your hub to the ground is different, this can also cause brakes to pull due to the different length of tire radii. With the info from the post this is the shotgun answer, hopefully there is something in here that will do the trick.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Old 04-09-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, the sticky caliper would be on the right side, if the vehicle pulls to the left. The caliper sticks in the IN position due to dirt, rust, etc.

Air in the brake line will not force calipers together with as much authority. Air bubbles compress, brake fluid does not.

Calipers are not spring-loaded, and will grab the rotor until flex from wheel movement forces them apart. On jack stands, the free-spinning wheel will likely have a sticking rotor.

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
Old 04-09-2001, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Thanks for all the good info guys. I'll look into all these things once I welded up my exhaust. I found another thing to weld ! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Keep you posted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.