1990 F-150, fuel pump won't run, need help please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2001, 03:46 PM
Old Hand

jeepnmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1990 F-150, fuel pump won\'t run, need help please!

i know its not a SWB, but we seem to be more technologically advaced and knowledgable than everyone else. please help if you can! 1990 F-150, 4x4, AT, 302. i'm helping a buddy try to get a truck running that has been sitting for about 6 months. he drove it to where its at and turned it off. it was wrecked in the bed and the bed has been removed. it will crank but not start. will run barely with starting fluid (we have spark). the fuel pump does not run and there is no fuel at the test port on the engine. he was told there is a "nursery switch" that needs to be pushed to reset the relay. he was told that it prevents the pump from running when there is no fuel in the tank. i am skeptical. today, he bought a new fuel pump ($150!) and installed it. the pump still does not run. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! matt

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2001, 03:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1990 F-150, fuel pump won\'t run, need help please!

I assume you have checked all of your fuses, relays, etc. If so I would call the ford house and ask them about the "nursery switch" and where it is located, and ask them if there are any other safety type switches that would engage if a vehicle was wrecked to prevent gas from pumping.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2001, 04:08 PM
Old Hand

jeepnmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

kerryp, i have not checked them personally, he was suppsed to do that. thanks for the info! matt

Old 04-06-2001, 06:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

dorfs is an unknown quantity at this point

The location of the "inertia switch" should be in the owners manual. If you don't have one, look on the passengers side kick panel, or in front of the passenger side floor board. If it is in the kick panel, there will be an access hole that you can put your finger through. When it re-sets, you will feel a click. The switch will only have 2 wires on it, and it is wired in series with the pump.

Old 04-06-2001, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...Also check for loose or 'cut' wires from the accident or the removal of the bed.

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S
Old 04-06-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hate to admit it,I am a recovering Ford guy.Give the fuel pump relay a tap,or switch it with another and listen for the pump to run.Very common.

My name is Glen......and I am a........Jeepaholic.
Old 04-06-2001, 09:47 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

The fuelpump cutoff switch on ford trucks is normally in the middle of the cab by the "hump". Right up by the heater ducts at the firewall. If it's not there look where dorfs said.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
rythem@gte.net
Old 04-09-2001, 11:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Andytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen inertia switches on the passenger side kick pannel as well. If they are outside of the kick pannel they will be grey or black with a red button I believe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement