Lifting early CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Lifting early CJ5

Rebuilding a 73 CJ/304/30frt/44rr/t15/D20trfx/fglass body & front end. Frame is boxed. Would like to lift to fit 35x14.5 Mickeys. Have body lift already on hand. Suspension ideas are traditional 4" or SOA. Have a chance to pick up a used 4" in great shape but it's from a post-76 CJ. Has anyone switched from the early 1.75" springs to post-76 springs (for spring under) or to Wrangler springs (SOA)? What was involved? I'm thinking perches, shackles, shackle hangers, u-bolts, shocks and springs and spring plates. Anything else? Any undue stress on frame (remember, boxed)? At the point of lifting now and would appreciate any input from early Jeepers. Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2001, 03:11 PM
Pooh-Bah

pbmcauliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lifting early CJ5

I changed my '74 from the skinny leafs to yj springs when I did my soa. I have read a few different ways ofdoing it, but this is what I did;
MORE shacle reversal with buggy kit for a 76 & later cj for front (so I had all the brackets/ parts for wider springs)
Stock wagoneer spring perches from junk yard to mount rear wider springs,
New rear shackle hangers for 2.5" wide springs,
Stock front shackles
Home made rear shackles
New perches for 2.5" wide leafs front & rear
Homemade spring plates, exist u-bolts
Ford f-250 shock towers front w/ 9012's
Rear 9012's thru tub to cage
Long brake lines
Drive shafts
Then after one day of wheelin & the springs sagged I added another leaf cut down from a wagoneer.
Then with a soa you get to deal with spring wrap, so eliminate it with a traction bar(like sams offroad), or lessen it with the fix JP magazine did a write up on.
I may have missed something in there, write again if you have a question.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2001, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you like you buggy set-up up front? Just curious any side effects that you can see? I don't drive on road much but I do some to the trails and such. Thanks.

1986 CJ-7
SOA 2.5" Pro-Comp springs
Warn 8074
Old 03-28-2001, 04:51 PM
Pooh-Bah

It is okay, It took a couple of runs to get it adjusted to the point that it would pull away from the frame (MORE kit is adjustable). I was getting lots of droop before it was even pullng away, but adjusted right it should get another inch or two. I dont drive on the road much, but haven't noticed any scary stuff while turning.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

pbm, do you think I could use the 1.75" springs or is it best just to switch to the Wranglers right off? Have you had any frame problems where the larger spring/shackle mounts attach? I plan on going with the traction bars. Did you have to go get new (custom) driveshafts or were you able to find a donor? It's been awhile since I went yard cruisin (rebuilt a bug when I was younger) so I have to get back in that frame of mind. What kind of changes have you done with your steering? Any pics? DAve

Old 03-29-2001, 10:18 AM
Pooh-Bah

If your going to go to soa, go to the wranglers right from the begining. They flex way better, just keep in mind they will sag.
No problems on the frame, I attached all the brackets with grade 8 hardware, then went through and welded everything once I had everything where I wanted it.
I had the front shaft lengthened about three inches, but is limiting the front passenger side droop, so I am going to get a long slip shaft one from Tom Woods. In the rear I actually was able to run the stock one until I added the wagoneer spring and it went up enough to warrant the rear shaft being 1 1/2" longer. But in looking for a shaft for my t18 conversion I have found many different length Jeep shafts, so junkyards would probably work.
Steering is stock except for 1.25" drag link and tie rod, which under lots of flexing do hit the spring on passenger side. I am looking at doing a hi-steer to solve this.
I'll try to get a pic up later today.

pbm
Old 03-29-2001, 01:14 PM
Pooh-Bah

Here is a pic with the yj's soa after a couple trips so the springs have sagged in this photo.

pbm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-379533-rear_qtr.jpg (59.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-29-2001, 01:22 PM
Pooh-Bah

Here it is with the cutdown wagoneer leaf. After a day of wheelin it is still about 1.25" higher than before, and a tad stiffer.

pbm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-379539-JeepSide.jpg (82.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-30-2001, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you take a pic of the jeep looking straight on at the front axle? Would like to have a look at the steering setup/angles. Thanks

Old 03-30-2001, 09:30 PM
Pooh-Bah

Hers is the front steering. With the YJ springs the drag link was more parallel,but increased angle with the extra leaf in there. Bump steer isn't too bad.

pbm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-380878-steering.jpg (89.1 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.