PTO winches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2001, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default PTO winches

Well, I would like to have a winch on my new Jeep that I am building. It will have an SM465 and np205 tcase. I was just wondering if it would be possible to get a pto winch for it. Not that I would need the power and durability of a pto winch, I like the idea of it for long duration and high load winching. I am just afraid that if I got an electric winch, I might burn it up. Not pulling my Jeep out, but pulling the other guy out, because if I had it I know it would get used. Anyway, is it possible to get the parts to run a pto from this tranny, tcase?
Dan

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2001, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PTO winches

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] NO PROBLEMO! Chelsea Power take-Off Units are available at all big truck parts places. They come in cable control, air control, and lever control. Single speed single direction, single speed two direction, two speed single direction, and two speed two direction. HINT: the two speeders can get sort of bulky so space is a consideration. You HAVE to have a two direction PTO for fwd and rev on that winch. USUALLY there are two doors on the transmission so you can mount on either side. They also have "Wet Kits" for mounting the hydraulic pump/PTO directly on the tranny with no driveshaft required, and then the winch is hydraulic driven.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: PTO winches

I don't know about the parts, but if you want duty cycle, you could also run a hydraulic winch. PTO does have that coolness factor, though. I certainly like mine. Make sure you put a weak link in the shaft somewhere so when you overload your winch it breaks the driveshaft and not the pto or winch. Pto winches usually don't stall. I watched a guy's 12,000 lb Braden pto winch explode after watching him replace his broken shear pin with a grade 8 bolt. Loud noise and oil and aluminum everywhere. His housing shattered. He was pulling a stump while anchored to a tree.
My pto winch runs off my Spicer/Dana 18 transfer case and I have all the gears of the tranny available to run it.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement